Betta Fish Forum banner

2.5 gallon a good idea for a elephant ear?

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Like I had mentioned, I got a new fish; ********, and he's in a temporary 2 gallon bowl, heated by a lamp.

For christmas, my parents both asked me to make a list and I thought "Hey, It would be a great present for myself and my new friend; so why not add it?"

But then again, I really never looked at the 2.5 gallon glass; Is it spacious enough? Will heater fit into it? And any clear pictures I may look at of it?

#2 ·
A 2.5 gallon is plenty big enough for a single betta, and a smaller heater (can be tricky at times to find small heaters, make sure to look at the sizes.. but a 15-25 watt would work fine).

Here is a 2.5g glass one.. but keep in mind usually the glass tanks that small don't have a light, you would either have to use another light source or buy an acrylic tank that size that comes with a hood/light.

#3 ·
A 2.5 gallon is plenty big enough for a single betta, and a smaller heater (can be tricky at times to find small heaters, make sure to look at the sizes.. but a 15-25 watt would work fine).

Here is a 2.5g glass one.. but keep in mind usually the glass tanks that small don't have a light, you would either have to use another light source or buy an acrylic tank that size that comes with a hood/light.
Hm, oh good XD I could buy the same type heater I have in the 3 gallon with Scout for it then; It goes from 2 gallons to 10 gallons so it should do fine?

For the light source, I think the lamp I have now is pretty bright an should do good~

I can also buy a small filter right? I haven't really seen them around..

Thank you!~

#4 ·
Yes, the lamp would be fine, and so would the heater :)

As for the filter.. it will be hard to find a power filter that will fit and won't be too strong for a tank that size. I would look into sponge filters if you want a filter..

You don't have to have a filter if you are willing to do weekly 100% water changes.

#6 ·
Ahhh. A sponge filter? I might haveto look into it; or make a buffer for the flow? I did that with my 10 gallon and it seems to work just fine.

#12 ·
My EE swims fine in his bowl, I think he'll be a bit more active in his new tank though o3o

#8 ·
Maybe something like the Azoo Palm filter? I've heard a lot of people like it for little tanks and it looks to have quite a few good reviews.

My elephant ear doesn't seem to have too hard of a time swimming. I mean, he doesn't flit across the tank like my plakat, but he's still pretty active.

#11 ·
Can you buy a Azoo palm filter in a store? I might have to go to a non-commerical petstore that's near by to look; they're big on fish~

#13 ·
Ohh, okay~ Thank you c:

#15 ·
I plan on getting the small pots I see everyone has XD I just need to think of where they'll have them, Michaels perhaps?

#17 ·
I'm not sure if they have them at Petco or Petsmart, but they may have one ore something like it at a LFS. And pretty much all craft stores have terra cotta pots; I got a pack of six for three bucks at Hobby Lobby (*holds back rant that they were right next to the "betta vases."*)
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
2.5 is the standard size, but from what I understand some elephant ear bettas have more difficulty swimming...if it looks like your boy struggles a bit, I'd keep him in the 2 gal. If he's fine with swimming around, I'm sure he'll love the upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.