Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #1 
IvyGreen

Is my Betta sick again?

Hi, I joined this forum about 2 months ago when my betta contracted fin rot and I didn't know what it was. I treated him with API Erythromycin and Aquarium Salt for 14 days and got him a better environment (see below) and he got so much better. But now he is looking a little weird again. The only symptom I can really see is that he has white stuff, I would almost call it dandruff, coming off of the 2 long skinny fins under his head. Is the fin rot back? Or could it be something else? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.75 gallons (upgraded ~6weeks ago from 1gal)
What temperature is your tank? ~78 degrees (heater has been in for a month)
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes, heater keeps tank at 78 degrees automatically
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a small plant that I don't remember the name of

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TopFin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once every 5-8 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TopFin Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not tested my water because I don't have the means to.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? has white "dandruff" coming off of lower fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? ~2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, I have not started any treatments
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Recovered from Fin Rot ~5 weeks ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? I would guess ~19months. I got him a year and a month ago.

Also, whatever anyone thinks it is, if you think it is treatable with either aquarium salt, erythromycin, or both, please tell me! That is what I have and I won't be able to go to the store any time soon because of Hurricane Sandy.

Thanks!!
~Ivy
IvyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Oh well the dandruff part sounds like Ich to me. If its these little white spots that look like salt sprinkled on your betta that is probably it. Well, if you do somehow get the chance to go to the store, pick up some sort of Ich treatment. I bought Kordon's Rid Ich Plus and that worked great. For now, change the water, and raise the temperature to 83 or so. Raise the temp little by little, so you don't shock him. When you change his water, add your AQ salt it could help a little, although that is more preventative. The high temp should give the Ich parasite a hard time until you can acquire some medicine.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #3 
IvyGreen

My heater doesn't adjust temp because it's just a little one. :(
And there are no spots on his head, it's just the tips of those 2 skinny fins that are peeling white. The rest of him looks fine.
IvyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote