Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 
PaulO

Question Fin Rot/melt?

I recently bought a new betta and when I put him in his quarantine tank i noticed he had some bumps on his fins would this be fin melt or fin rot? also how can I treat this I mean I have aquarium and epsom salt and the petsmart is only about a 10-15 drive away and they have maracyn, tetracycline, malachite, etc. I would prefer to treat with salt as he just came home yesterday and I am afraid antibiotics might stress him out to a point where he would be worse off then with some nice conservative salt. If anyone can help me out I need to know if I can treat with salt and what dosage. Also he looks like he has some dents on his body...I dont know if they are anything dangerous as they don't really stick out and I think he may also have a lip/mouth injury.

Here are his tank specs:

Size: 1.5 g
Temp: 74-75*F
No: Filters, air stones, tank mates or heaters.
Food: Betta food by Aqueon

Water Parameters
ph-7.4
ammonia,nitrites and nitrates: 0 ppm

Symptoms: Bulges on fins and slight dents on body . Also if anyone knows can the injury on his mouth get in the way of feeding habits he pecks at pellets I give him but won't open up his mouth.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

He seems fine to me, although you could run to the store to get some aquarium salt if you are worried of his fins. However, your tank is a little cold for a betta; they are tropical and need 78 degree F water. It would be better for your betta if he had a heater in his tank. I suggest the Marina 10c which can be found at Petsmart for about 17 bucks.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 
PaulO

If you look close in the second picture you can see the little blip towards the base of the dorsal fin. Also money is not a problem its availability, I only have a pet smart in my area which only has heaters that are 50 watts at the lowest. I was wondering is the marina c adjustable and whats the wattage? I want to know what dosage of salt would treat his fins as you know the bettas from pet stores are usually stored in filthy conditions so they are prone to diseases. So if anyone knows how many tsp. per gallon to treat.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #4 
LeoTheLakerBetta

It is 1 tsp per gallon. That may seem much but it really isn't for healing of fins. The marina c10 is 10 watt. Perfect up to 2.5 gallons. However, it is not adjustable, but instead preset to 78 degrees F.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 
PaulO

Thank you I will give the heater a go and thanks for the dose I always forget :P.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

I see what you are talking about but that is not fin rot or fin melt. No idea what it is. Minus the bump, he looks healthy to me.

If he had fin rot, the edges of his fins would be raggidy looking and there is usually a black outline around the rotted part. However many bettas naturally have a black outline around their fins.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

^+1
I've never seen anything like that before, but he does seem healthy to me too.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #8 
carolineelisabeth

:/ My crowntail from Petsmart had fin rot too! He's all healthy now though!
carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote