Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #21 
Oldfishlady

Nothing wrong with spawning pet shop Betta-A Betta either meets standards or it doesn't-the only difference with a pet shop Betta is knowing its genetic and often you won't know this with some breeders either-depends on how well they keep records and how willing they are to share.

It also depends on your goals-if you want to show-look for a Betta that meets the IBC standards as close as you can with mate that complements them.

If you just want to see if it is something you would like to learn to do...That is fine too..IMO......You have to start someplace-you can only read and research so much-at some point you have to get your feet wet so to speak. As with most things it can be a trial and error issue-especially with living creatures.

What is important is to be responsible and have a plan.

Lots and lots of different methods to not just keep this species-but to spawn and rear fry successfully.

You can spend a ton of money or very little-you can go high tech or low tech.

When I cupped my males for grow out-I used pint and quart canning jars-but now I am able to keep all the males and females together long term (this was one of my goals)and so I only cup short term to condition for spawning.

Personally I have found that the natural method to work best for me-For others they like the standard method and the standard method is often the best method to try when its your first time spawning this species.

Live foods are best, however, you can still rear fry on processed, cooked egg yolk and frozen foods-Its done everyday by some breeders. Its finding what works for you, what you have on hand...etc......

Not really a right or wrong way to spawn-its finding what works for you and your breeders and this can changes from spawn to spawn-even with the same breeders sometimes too.....They are living creatures after all....lol....

Most important.....have fun...that is what this hobby is all about after all....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #22 
ravenwinds

Some actually do breed for quality ...you have to pick the ones that belong to betta breeding organizations and that readily show, many even belong to IBC. I am not trying to say Thai breeders are the best but some do know what they are doing and some actually care about the betta. Nicebettas.com is a smaller breeder that cares about her bettas. She has offerings on aquabid every couple of months and sells off website as well....some breeders have 6 + bettas everyday on aquabid!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Pet store Bettas are harder to get rid of it is like breeding Puppy mill dogs.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #24 
ravenwinds

Well said OFL! Much more eloquent than I could be.
Can you please explain the natural method as I would like to do something less clinical than the standard method. It just might coax some of my bettas who seem reluctant to pass on their genetics! Thank you.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Pet store Bettas are harder to get rid of it is like breeding Puppy mill dogs.
I am assuming you are basing that statement on personal experience for your area. In my area-the unique Betta that I breed/rear are what sell best-most of the buyers have zero interest in showing or even know what the IBC standard is. What they want, is a cool looking healthy Betta. My pure HM and HMDT line isn't nearly as accepted-they sell-but not like my unique Bettas-I can't breed them fast enough to meet the demand and I am NOT anything like a puppy mill.....
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard the natural method is to keep males with females in a very large tank and the male cares for them.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #27 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
Can you please explain the natural method as I would like to do something less clinical than the standard method. It just might coax some of my bettas who seem reluctant to pass on their genetics! Thank you.
I use 5-10gal full to the top with water-soil based heavy planted mature tanks.
These systems are as close to a natural ecosystem that can be created in a closed system.
They have lots of common snails-like pond, ranshorn and trumpets, lots of Red cherry shrimp and the 10gal will also have a young BN pleco-I have to change it out about every 4-6 months since it will out grow the tank. (I also breed BN plecos so I always have a steady supply)
Every thing has a job in the system-they also naturally create an environment that support fry. Mainly food-lots and lot of microorganisms for free range fry food.

Lights stay on a 12h/day photoperiod-even with eggs/fry in the nest, female isn't always removed and often the male is left long term. Breeders fed before, during and after spawning

The natural method is more about the system itself and more or less doing everything opposite of what everything you read about spawning this species.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I am assuming you are basing that statement on personal experience for your area. In my area-the unique Betta that I breed/rear are what sell best-most of the buyers have zero interest in showing or even know what the IBC standard is. What they want, is a cool looking healthy Betta. My pure HM and HMDT line isn't nearly as accepted-they sell-but not like my unique Bettas-I can't breed them fast enough to meet the demand and I am NOT anything like a puppy mill.....
Its based on my betta books and searches thialand breeders many stores get Bettas from fall under mills.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #29 
tpocicat

Some of the most sucessful betta breeders in IBC started with pet store bettas. Never say never. I've seen some really nice bettas at my local pet stores. Personally, I enjoy the genetic suprises you can get.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #30 
Sena Hansler

When you breed, ask around in YOUR area. What do they want? Long fin short fin dark colors bright colors... Ask the possible "buyer" what they want - which is also a business tip

I will say, if you breed pet store bettas try to get some with decent finnage. That way you can also raise your chance of better looking fry. Don't be afraid to start somewhere - and yes, I did say "all good breeders start somewhere" and that somewhere probably wasn't 120 for a pair!!

As for the tank dilemma, I don't want to see that in every thread! But yes it is true breeders cannot keep all the bettas in 2.5-10 gallon tanks each. But as long as they are caring for their bettas, should it matter? I plant to get a shelf downstairs, heat the room and that way each betta is kept at a comfortable temperature.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote