Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #61 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Okay.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #62 
Bluewind

Arrow

Looks like my tank has a water volume of about 5.2 litters so I need to lower my water changes to about 2.5 total litters a week.

I am uptown, so I was going to edit my OP, but it wont let me. In fact, I don't have the ability to edit any post as far as I can tell. Could someone tell me how?

So here are the changes I would have made to the OP.

The Story:... (yall can go back and read it)

The Facts: The tank has a volume of 1.8 gal at the water level and about a 1.4 gal water volume.

It has a...
1. Plastic Plant
2. Small rock
3. 2/3 inch of aquarium gravel which was coated with something to make it colorful and non-sharp pre-purchase (unsure if it is regular size or not. It could be smaller)
4. Tetra filter made for 3 gal
5. Hood with LED light (also near south-facing window, so lots of indirect light)
6. Tetra 2-15 gal heater (keeps it a constant 76 degrees)
7. Thermometer

Partial water changes will now be done 3 times a week (2x removal of water and 1x gravel cleaning using turkey baster)

Diet is Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley once daily. Possible future variance will be done on Sundays.

Original OP Question: Considering the size of the environment, the level of care given to the environment, the filter, and the tankmate, what would be a good fish or invertebrate to place in the tank with him?
Answer: None at this time.
>If the tank is increased to 5 gal, I may add a snail or a few shrimp.
>At 10-15, I may add some of the fish I desired. Suggestions were Cory Cats (schooling so several required), kuhli loaches (controversial as some sites and posters say minimum tank should be 20 while others say it would be fine), dwarf cory catfish (4-6), mollies (controversial as they can be bullies and need aquarium salt which can harm Betta), livebearers, or African Dwarf Frog (controversial as can attack Betas or visa versa).

Question 2: What would be a good heater for my tank?
Suggestions: Hydor Theo 25 watt with adjustable temp control, 7.5w heater, and a few other wattages.
Conclusion: Cold front caused an acute temp drop in Gus' tank. None of the heaters suggested were available at the local store, so a Tetra 2-15gal heater was purchased. The tank has stayed a constant 76 degrees since the heater was introduced.

Question 3: Real plants or fake and if real, which ones?
Suggestions: Real are much better than fake because plastic can harm fins. Real also keeps water quality higher and keeps algae down. Fertilizers are good, but not required especially for beginner plants. Watch for discolored leaves. Possible plants are Java fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Hornwort, water sprite, or Marimo Moss Ball (must be turned a few times a week)
Conclusion: Moss ball is most appealing at this time because of tank size as well as the locomotion the ball possesses which can provide enrichment for fish. It is also soft and can be used as a Beta bed. Other plants may be purchased when I am able to upgrade the size of my tank as all suggestions would make good additions. I am still trying to decide on a secondary choice just in case they are out of Moss Balls.
>Java Moss looks to be an insanely fast grower which worries me. More info needed.
>Java Ferns are interesting and beautiful, but why wont fish graze on it? And i wonder if the light my tank gets would hurt it...
>Anubias would be GREAT for the larger tank!
>Hornwort is a great plant... but I would rather have different leaves. Possible secondary plant in larger aquarium.
>Water Sprites are beautiful and I would love to have one in my tank now, but it is a crazy fast grower. I must do research on how I would keep it under control. Suggestions?

Question 4: Is it okay for fish to sleep on the heater?
Answer: Yes. Betas like lounging on things. Consider a Beta hammock for a future purchase.

Question 5: What are good treats and foods?
Answer: Betas are insectivores, so look for foods based on that. Beta flakes and pellets which contain meat/insects are good. Live food, Bloodworms, pea (controversial because they are insectivores and have short digestive tracts. Hybrid conclusion? 2 a month would not cause harm), flightless fruit flies, mosquito larvae, or Brine shrimp.
Conclusion: Will shop for freeze dried insects or attempt to catch larva after more research is done. Insects will be fed once a week in place of flakes and about half a pea will be given 1-2 times a month as a deterrent to digestive issues.

Question 6: Is my tank size bad?
Answer: Not ideal, but as long as water changes are kept up and the fish is healthy and active, it will work. 5gal is best. 2.5gal is a healthy minimum size with room for enrichment. Anything below 1 gallon is unethical and cruel to the fish.

Question 7: How much water should be changed out weekly?
Answer: 50% tank volume. Water volume is about 1.4gal = 5.2 litters which means about 2.5 litters a week total.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #63 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plastic plants can hurt fins. Flakes usually are a bad idea if they are not flakes I am sorry. For a small tank like that you need two fifty percents weekly. Java moss is not insanly fast grower. A 10 is too small for mollies only pygmy cories can live in a 10 gallon. In would reccomend 80F. Many livebearers are too colorful or long finned for bettas.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #64 
Bluewind

Thanks Cho. I just wanted to do a post that had every bit of information that had been given to me so far. I noted where there was a conflict in what people said.

The bully-ish nature of Mollies made them a no for me and the salt requirements threw them out the window.

The heater has no thermostat, so 76-78 is what it will be. At least it is rated for 2-15 gal so when I upgrade, I can still use it.

They are flakes, but he enjoys them and eats them just fine as of now. I know it makes determining the exact feeding a little tricky, but having meat/insects as a 1st ingredient was more important than a minor inconvenience.

The livebearers were suggested, so I put them down. They aren't on my list as of now as I need to do more research on them. Besides, little Gus is more like a puppy than a Betta! The only time he gets mad is when my dad comes up to his tank!

Don't believe me? Look at him looking at himself. He was more curious than macho! That's my boy
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=30004
Sorry for quality. It was just a phone pic
Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #65 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Pellets are better.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #66 
MaisyDawgThirteen

LOL. Everything in fishkeeping is controversial.

Here are some good food pellets:
-Omega One (sold in Petsmart/Petco)
-New Life Spectrum (sold in Petco)

In betta food you want to make sure that on the label there is more than 40% crude protien and the first 3 ingredients are some sort of meat. Many tropical flakes don't have this. :(

Bettas won't dine on the java fern since they are insectivores. Not to interested in plants.

Last edited by MaisyDawgThirteen; 10-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #67 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Fishkeeping is a science aquaculture. No one thinks you should put aa Betta in salt water.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #68 
Bluewind

hummm. We do have a pet smart! 40 miles away, but still. I will write it on my list. Not too pricey either. The tetra was better than the alternative. BELIEVE ME! The others didn't have the good stuff til ingredient 3 or 4!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #69 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Healthy Bettas are worth a lot of money I spend like 150 dollars a year on Carter alone.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #70 
DragonFyre14

As far as water changes go, I think you were doing a good job. You can't really do too many water changes.

Pellets are usually best. However, I think it is more important that he is
1. Eating
2. eating something with lots of protein
My betta doesn't really like pellets too much yet... still working on that...

Varying the diet on Sundays is a good idea. They always love blood worms (and blood worms are available pretty much anywhere.) and truthfully, it is my favorite mostly because it is easy to feed and they love them.

As far as companions go, I'd wait until you get a 10 or 15 gallon and go with a school of cory cats.

With your tank, the marimo moss ball may be the best idea if you are worried about the other plants taking over the tank (plus it is very easy to care for) If they are out of those, I would go with Java fern. Its a really pretty plant and doesn't need that much light.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, betta, newbie, small tank, tankmate