Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #11 
vP H O T O Nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
When I went to PJ Pets to purchase my 5 gallon tank, I was talking to the Fish/Reptile Manager about bettas and I hadn't heard of this forum yet so I was asking him questions about water changes and such. He told me not to worry too much about water changes, that he just lets LOTS of the water evaporate until theres like 25% left and then he fills it back up. I was absolutely SHOCKED. He's the MANAGER of the fish department and he's giving this advice to people? Also telling them that bettas get stressed if they are in tanks that are too big.
Actually, same thing kind of happened to me at my Petco the other day. I was in buying more bamboo for my tank, and brought up the fact it was for my buddy Delta. We carried on the conversation, it seemed to be going good. When my girlfriend brought up the fact I tend to spoil Delta, by keeping him in a 10 gal tank alone.

He gave me that look like, are you stupid? Then told me that a 1 gal tank was questionably too big for a Betta, and they don't need all the fancy things I give Delta. This got to me, but I kept calm and asked what he would do. He took me over to the tanks, and started pointing at 1 and giving me a description on why a Betta would be perfect for that particular tank. The biggest tank he pointed at was 3/4 gallon, no light, no filter, and a starter kit none the less.

As well as today in walmart, a lady took her daughter to get a few things for her new Betta. She was going to get a 1 gallon betta tube, then the .3 gal cube, then the half gallon divided tank. She looked lost about it. So I stepped in and tried to point her in the right direction. She grabbed a 3 gallon tank filter, heated, lights. Along with conditioner and all that good stuff, I told her a few things I knew and she was off, seeming more comfortable and less worried about dead fish.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #12 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle4353 View Post
There are always the 'goldfish in a bowl people' as I call them. And I noticed that your location is Puerto Rico and I love it there! I just got back from a trip there!
I take it you enjoyed yourself?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #13 
Turtle4353

Always do
Turtle4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Glad I dont have to put up with this my Petco is great many of the people there are fellow hobbyist and know there fish.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #15 
ravenwinds

My local Petsmart is that way, the fish manager and his team really know fish and will question your intent if it seems you are getting fish that shouldn't live together. They'll ask what your setup is etc. They were worried when I got like 4 different kinds of fish until I told them I had multiple community tanks (a 20g, a 29g, and a 40g). The only downside is they know very little about bettas and so they tend to follow the Petsmart party line...which is horrible. I have been teaching them a bit about bettas and they seem enthusiastic about it, but since Petsmart is over 30miles away, I don't get there much!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Petco employees are not super knowledble about bettas but they agree the Betta caresheets are inaccurate.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #17 
ravenwinds

At least that is a step in the right direction!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think it is a really big step there.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #19 
prosthetik

Eugh, an old lady that works at one of the stores here always convinces people to put their Betta's in 1/2 litre bowls [thats 0.1 gallon!] - but I try so hard not to say anything because the people who own the store are really nice & I don't want to get banned lol.
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A Betta can actually fit its body in there you should say something.