Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #1 
MoonShadow

Starting and Running a Betta Fish Rescue

I thought I would write this for everyone who has ever thought of starting their own betta rescue. Starting and running a rescue is extremely wonderful, heartwarming and rewarding, but also time consuming, expensive and potentially heartbreaking. You need a strong will, a strong constitution, determination and dedication.

• Decide where you will run the rescue out of; your room, your basement, the family room, the garage, etc.

• Determine your startup costs. Tanks, heaters, food (flake, pellet, live and frozen), décor, nets meds, water change supplies, water conditioners, and shipping supplies (if you plan on shipping out certain adoptable fish) need to be taken into consideration.

• How many tanks do you want to have running? What sizes? Will you have individual heaters in all tanks, or will the room be a heated “fish room”?

• Decide how many fish you will be able to care for at one time, and stick to that number, even if it means turning away potential rescues! One of the biggest killers of animal rescues is taking in more animals then you can handle at one time!

• Decide whether or not you will ask an adoption fee, and how much that adoption fee will be if you choose to have one.

• Are you willing to ship certain bettas to their new homes if you find an adopter that is not within driving distance? Will you offer discounted shipping rates, and pay the rest out of pocket? Or will you charge full shipping prices?

o Here’s a link to a great article on how to ship properly: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....light=zenandra

It’s very important to always have a wide variety of medicines on hand, because you never know what sort of illness or injury you may have to treat. Here is a list of medical supplies that I recommend always having on hand
• Stress Coat
• Epsom Salt
• Aquarium Salt
• Maracyn-Oxy
• Tetracycline
• Quick Cure
• Aquari-sol
• Prime
• Vita-Chem
• Garlic Guard
• API Triple Sulfa
• API Fungus Cure
• Maracyn 1&2
• Erythromycin

Everyone determines what counts as a rescue differently, so I will let you make your own calls about what you would consider a rescue. But I would like to go over what I would consider the different “levels” of betta rescues, from the beginner level rescues, to the advanced rescues.

1. “The Beginner Level Rescue” – This fish will have minor and easily treated problems such as a minor tail rips but no rot (Biting), Stress, Emaciation etc. It will not require any heavy medication, and will be able to be treated with just clean, warm water, a good diet and possibly a bit of salt. This fish has a very good chance of healing and living a long, happy life.

2. “The Intermediate Level Rescue” – This fish will have issues that are more serious, but still treatable, such as: Fin rot, Bloat, Swimbladder, Ick, Velvet, Ammonia burns, External Parasites, Popeye, etc. This fish will require medication beyond the clean, warm water and salt, but still has a good chance for recovery.

3. “The Advanced Level Rescue” – This fish will have severe and difficult to treat problems, such as: Internal Bacterial infections, Body Rot, Open Sores, Severe (laying on its side, gasping) Ammonia Poisoning, Internal Parasites, Dropsy, Colmunaris, Etc. This fish may require strong and expensive medication, and may have a low chance of surviving.

4. “The Sympathy Euthanasia Rescue” – This is a fish that has no chance of survival. It may have severe open wounds, or be in the advanced stages of colmunaris, dropsy, etc. And the kindest thing that can be done is to take this fish home and end its suffering.

 Here are links to some good articles on different diseases and treatments
o http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
o http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333

 And while the topic of euthanasia has been brought up, there is a link to a good article on that as well.
o http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116540

This is just a base write-Up to help those of you who have an interest in rescuing, and I will add more tips as I think of them!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 
sainthogan

I like this, I wish I had a place to rescue Bettas. Soon maybe.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #3 
MoonShadow

Thanks! Yeah it does require space but it is so very worth it!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Love this.

Already have my betta rescue setup and getting in the first betta tomorrow. I'm not sure if I am adopting him out but most likely and someplace local I hope. Already got all the meds I can get since I don't know the condition he will be coming to me in. He's from Craigslist and basically some family had him for a few months, realized fish are too much work, and want money more than animals. I'm both scared and excited to pick him up tomorrow. Hope he does well and can get a GOOD family.

My rescue is going to start out small, maybe 2-5 fish at a time since I run it from my bedroom. Once I have a place I can dedicate a whole room to fish I'll rescue more.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Maybe you should add to know how to market yourself properly so you can have enough adoptions going out so you can take more rescues in?

I have a friend that didnt think of half those things and doesnt really know any other fish keepers other than myself, so she has a really hard time getting enough adoptions out to take more rescues in. Originally she thought that she was just going to be able to give them to her friends once they were healthy, but she doesnt have enough friends for the amount of fish and now she's wayyy over her original capacity.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #6 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Maybe you should add to know how to market yourself properly so you can have enough adoptions going out so you can take more rescues in?
That's a great idea!! I will write that up tonight!!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #7 
RedRaz

I so admire you and whoever rescues a betta. Takes a special person to do this. My first betta I ever bought had a whole line of illness and I did not know this when I bought him. He never ate and his health went completely down hill no matter what I did to help him. I was so sad when he passed. I still am but I know he is not suffering anymore. I learned a lot from my Raz. I learned just how amazing these fish are and that they need to be treated better at pet stores. Maybe one day I can start to rescue. Thanks for this thread because now I have a more clear idea of what rescuing entails. *hugs*
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #8 
MoonShadow

I'm going to write a follow up for this article this weekend! About marketing your rescues etc.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #9 
Myates

Looks good.. only change I would make is get rid of Quick Cure and add in General Cure. General Cure a bit gentler, and it can do what most of those other medications can do.

:)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #10 
Dmsantana

I wish I could do a betta rescue thing but i end up keeping them all
Dmsantana is offline   Reply With Quote