Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #881 
Chesh

What was his illness, do you know? Did you end up treating for Chytrid? Just curious. . . and my frogs love all floating plants, but Riccia is by far their favorite!!! He'll love it!

If you're feeding 2x daily, then you're almost definitely overfeeding - and hopefully this is the source of your problem! If you have a MATURE male frog, you'll be able to see a little white or pink 'pimple' under his arm, near his armpit. These shouldn't come up until the frog reaches maturity, and if they're there, you know you can safely back off to feeding every other day. Keep in mind that the male ADF ARE much smaller/thinner to begin with. If you scroll back through this thread, you can see a few comparison shots that were posted a while back. The females tend to be bigger and roly-poly, but the males stay slim and small.

If you're worried that your frog isn't getting enough, look at his stomach, which is slightly to the left of the center of the frog, and can be seen if you look at their underside - when his left side bulges out just a *tiny* bit, you know he's fat and happy! For SUCH a tiny frog, overfeeding is VERY easy to do! Let us know how it goes after a fast day or two - hopefully everything will be okay!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #882 
Gizmothefreaky

Bonnie passed away today...

I went to go and feed her and the others and she was not moving, and seemed very bloated. I think she had dropsy, but it's so hard to tell in frogs. I will post pictures, just be warned, they are pictures of a dead frog...

Rest in peace sweet Bonnie, go and be with Clyde, he has been waiting so patiently for you...
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #883 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
What was his illness, do you know? Did you end up treating for Chytrid? Just curious. . . and my frogs love all floating plants, but Riccia is by far their favorite!!! He'll love it!

If you're feeding 2x daily, then you're almost definitely overfeeding - and hopefully this is the source of your problem! If you have a MATURE male frog, you'll be able to see a little white or pink 'pimple' under his arm, near his armpit. These shouldn't come up until the frog reaches maturity, and if they're there, you know you can safely back off to feeding every other day. Keep in mind that the male ADF ARE much smaller/thinner to begin with. If you scroll back through this thread, you can see a few comparison shots that were posted a while back. The females tend to be bigger and roly-poly, but the males stay slim and small.

If you're worried that your frog isn't getting enough, look at his stomach, which is slightly to the left of the center of the frog, and can be seen if you look at their underside - when his left side bulges out just a *tiny* bit, you know he's fat and happy! For SUCH a tiny frog, overfeeding is VERY easy to do! Let us know how it goes after a fast day or two - hopefully everything will be okay!
Then he is already mature he has the glands under his arms which is how I could tell what gender he was. As for illness I treated for Chystrid fungus but I don't think that is what it was, though it was some form of fungus that went away pretty quick with warm water and fungicure. I think if it had been cystrid he would be dead because it seems the recovery rate from that is slim. I still nuked the tank regardless and qted him from his tank mate to be safe. whatever he had I don't want him catching it again from something. It really sucked having to bleach everything and rinse in boiling water though, even my betta was forced to live in a qt tank for a week so I could finish off nuking and buy new gravel for the tank.

I also skipped feeding him a few days and when I went back to feed on the third day he ate from tweezers without an issue, even attacked the shrimp when he saw it and swam up for it before I could get it down to him. I think it really had to have been overfeeding and he just didn't feel hungry some days when I tried feeding him. He still wont take food from my fingers though. It scared him and I'm assuming it's because of all the trauma during his treatment what with daily water changes and being in a smaller tank all alone with nothing but a cave and a fake plant. I think when he sees a hand now he is afraid he will be removed from the tank again and swims the other way to avoid it. That is just a wild guess though. Still looking for ricca right now but in the meantime I'm picking up other live plants soon for Nix's 10 gallon tank so I'll get some for his and Aquarius's tank until I can find ricca. Do you have any idea where they would sell it or would that have to be an online thing?

I have also noticed Bilbo is less stressed not that he is back to the main tank. I think a lot of his odd issues was due to moving from the hospital tank and then to the qt tank so he couldn't get settled and the qt tank was being cleaned so often because it's not cycled. Now that he's back to the main tank he's returned to being active and less hiding and being more out and about moving around and getting comfortable on his old familiar plants and even creeping into his temple where Aquarius was a bit excited to see him again and the two sat together for a while like they were talking about what the H had happened. Bilbo even stopped to check out the new rescue betta I have in the tank next door and was floating at his level and watching him. It's odd how creepy and cute Bilbo can be. I'm still thinking a lot more now recently on upgrading the boys into a new tank so I can get a second ADF for Bilbo to socialize with. I am sure Aquarius is a great friend and all and Aquarius loves Bilbo but I know Bilbo would love another ADF to hug on. I was thinking of getting another male and naming him Frodo but I also thought about getting him a girlfriend as well. Not sure which would be better, don't want babies. At the same time introducing a new frog into the a larger tank with him would scare me because of what it could bring in and ADF's have to be qt for so long. I think someone said 3 months at least to qt a new ADF to avoid chystrid fungus from getting into the group. Some say less if you put them in cooler water. Then after that it's the dynamic, would the other frog be betta aggressive and if so then what would I do with it? I hear some frogs have attacked betta and I'm thankful Bilbo and Aquarius get along so well. In fact they never had a scuff nor flare, not even when I first introduced them. Just a few curious passes and then a sort of instant harmony which I got lucky about since Aquaman is so docile for a betta and Bilbo is just a curious frog who likes to see what his weird fish room mate is always doing.

I also considered setting up an ADF only tank and putting Bilbo in there after three months but from the time I removed Bilbo from the main tank Aquarius had been ripping his tail apart and since putting Bilbo back last night I haven't seen new bite marks on Aquarius's tail so putting Aquarius by himself wasn't the best. He gets nervous when he is alone or else very bored.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #884 
katydidmischief

So guys, it appears my frogs are breeding... I woke up this morning to find them locked together and a minute ago I realized, Stormfly is dropping eggs. I looked closely at the tank and yup, more eggs on the bottom. I have no idea what I should do with them at this point. I don't have the equipment to deal with breeding on hand, but I can pick it up on the way home from work; I have an extra tank but no heater and it's not very warm in my apartment.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #885 
Chesh

Gizmo!!!*cries* I'm so sorry to hear. . .she was such a good little froggy!

LadyVictorian - Glad to hear that things are looking up over there!!! You're probably right, it's really stressful for them to be moved - worse when they're being medicated and all of that nastiness. I'm sure with time you'll have him eating from your fingers again - for now, I'm just glad he's eating! I'd continue with an every-other-day feeding, and see if he continues to do well! If it was Chytrid, there are treatment options that have been found more recently, but the ones that seems to be most successful is Lamasil - for people! As long as he recovered, it sounds like you got whatever it was, and you're probably right that it wasn't Chytrid - thank God! Riccia... *I* have never seen in a pet shop, you can try posting a wanted on the forum here (I don't have enough to share right now, or I would), also check Aquabid. Mine came from user Termato, but he hasn't been around so much lately, you could send him a PM, he usually has enough to share... I *think* SanguineFox is starting to get over-run, too. . .

Katydid - WONDERFUL NEWS!!! Congratulations on happy frogs! Chances are that by the time you get back to them later, the eggs will be a non-issue. From everything I've seen and read it's pretty difficult to rear these babies from eggs to taddies to frogs. From the successful accounts I've read, it involves LOTS of small water changes with a turkey baster, and the eggs are very difficult to keep from moulding over. . . It can't hurt to try - if they've done it once, they'll certainly do it again - maybe next time you'll be ready for 'em! Something I am hoping to try one day, too!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #886 
katydidmischief

Thanks, Chesherca! I got home and yup, non-issue, but I just managed to snag an Aquatop heater for 9.99 on Amazon and I'm hoping I can get a tank setup soon so it's ready to go when they do it again. If nothing else, I'd love to try to raise the little buggers.

Gizmo, I'm so sorry! She was a beautiful girl.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #887 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wish you the best in breeding and sorry for your loss.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #888 
Gizmothefreaky

Thanks guys. I'm working on getting the things to make a frog only tank. I have a couple ten gallons just screaming to be set up. Lol!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #889 
Chesh

Oooh! GIZZY! THAT will be fantastic!!! Though, with all the tanks (big and tiny) you have now, where on Earth will you put it?! Always a dilemma. . . ;)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #890 
Gizmothefreaky

Lmao!! I only have three big tanks, 30, 20, and 55 gallons, the other seven are under three. X3