Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hey there betta girl :) a half gallon split is .25 gallons of water each. there is no way you can fit a heater in there, betta fish are tropical. 100% of the water will need to be change out everyday, due to ammonia build up. it'a like living in a room which you pee and poop in and never get changed out. We are all experienced betta keepers and hope the OP will be on to a good start. how ever you keep your fish is a personal choice. But I must ask that if you do keep two fish in a divided half gallon and intend to continue doing so without regard to the tropical environment they need. please refrain from posting so on this forum. it will incite a lot uneccessary anger.

Companies which sell these tanks are all about profit. they could care less how much room a betta really needs. there have been companies selling ipod sized tanks. just because they sell them, doesn't mean it's the right things to do. I can't comment on how you keep your own fish, but please do not lead others astray. A 2.5 gallon tank is not expensive. they can be found for $15. and if you are really that unable to buy a tank, a rubber maid cotauner will do the job.

If you are looking to have a cheap fish just for decoration... I hope you will change your mind.

A fish will not only be healthier but will show a much more active behaviour when in a proper sized heated tank.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #12 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl228 View Post
Oh really I will have to go pick one up.
I just rescued a betta from the same situation, a small tank unheated and rarely cleaned. He has advanced fin rot and has been sitting on the bottom of the tank suffering fin clamp. It's not safe to do that honestly and i think the proof is in the very ill betta I have that it's not okay for them. Had he stayed with his original owners he would have died living like that for much longer. Luckily now he has a 1 gallon hospital tank to himself with daily water changes and 80 degrees set to the tank. He will luckily pull through to be adopted out.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #13 
tromboneplaya

Like others have said, thank tank is too small for one beta let alone two. The smallest divided I've ever done is a 10 gallon but a 5 gallon would be ok to divide as well....
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #14 
BettaGirl228

Btw i always check my water and ammonia and its fine. I do water changes every 4 days. My boys are doing great in that Tank they both have already made bubble nest in them so they're happy. I will go to walmart and buy a bigger tank.
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian

+1 to aokashi

Bubblenest are nto a sign of happyness, they are a sign that your males are old enough to mate and are trying to atract a female. Even sick betta's build them. Sometimes it can even show stress in some situations.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl228 View Post
Btw i always check my water and ammonia and its fine. I do water changes every 4 days. My boys are doing great in that Tank they both have already made bubble nest in them so they're happy. I will go to walmart and buy a bigger tank.
Bubblenests are a sign of readiness to breed... not happiness. I have no idea how ammonia is kept at 0 in your tank unless you have a bunch of plants in there. but where does the heater go...? Where is the space to swim?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #17 
BettaGirl228

My Females are also doing great my baby betta is in a small tank bc shes only like a month old she is the most adorable fish ever she starting to get some green tint to her she also does this cute little thing where she knows its feed time and she will come over to the top of the water and just look at me she waggles her fins shes so cute. but growing everyday i feed her like brime shrimp and the small pellets she loves them my other female she is a fiesty thing she jumps at me and nips at my finger dang she has a attitude lol. They guy that sold me the Bettas told me a small tank is fine but sometime i will need a bigger tank for them maybe i will go to walmart today and buy one.
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

This is the normal level of activityfor my betta...
he is in a heated 2.5 gallon planted tank.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...u/0fc1e24f.mp4

getting a larger tank is a great idea. you can even divide a 10 gallon 3 ways.

my betta lets me scoop him up :)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...978FF22B8E.mp4
Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #19 
LadyVictorian

You can also find a very decent and cheap heater on Amazon BettaGirl. I saw one for what $7 once.

And Aokashi that is so cute xD. Wasn't that the guy your raised yourself from a fry?

That about sums up my betta but he tries to ride the current of the bubbler when I have it on (more for a toy than actual functinality). Your guy must be tiny, he makes that tank look like a 10 gallon xD Still so cute.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
And Aokashi that is so cute xD. Wasn't that the guy your raised yourself from a fry?
Yup that's my ex baby betta now all grown up. the one i have to smack out of the way to prune my plants. lol