Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #21 
LadyVictorian

xD Aquarius does the same when I drain the water and vacuum gravel. He likes to be right next to my hand and wait for food. Then if I don't feed him he rubs on me like he is trying to breed me >.<
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #22 
BettaGirl228

I will have to go to Walmart but my question is Do they come with dividers my boys will fight if i don't get one?!?!?!?!
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #23 
LadyVictorian

No they will not come with dividers but you can make cheap dividers. I can't remember where but someone had a thread showing how to make them and it was pretty easy and only comes out to about $2 per divider. They are also better than ones in the store since it's harder for the boys to see each other and causes less stress on them.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #24 
LadyVictorian

http://www.fishforums.com/forum/bett...le-bettas.html

here is one version, though some people don't use the sealant because you don't really need it. Just cut the mesh to size that will fit perfect and it's not nessisary.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #25 
BettaGirl228

Awesome Thanks i will be making a trip to Walmart tonight :)
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #26 
sajames05

My dad had a betta in a glass bowl on his desk for almost 3 years. He changed the water out about every 5 days and didn't have a heater or anything. It was the happiest little fish ever. Im sorry to disappoint yall but I don't have room for a 10 gallon tank. I took 1 betta out of this split tank and got a glass bowl for it, my gf is going to take that one to her place. I might look into getting a 1 gallon or 5 gallon tank but as of now this little guy is doing fine.
sajames05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #27 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajames05 View Post
My dad had a betta in a glass bowl on his desk for almost 3 years. He changed the water out about every 5 days and didn't have a heater or anything. It was the happiest little fish ever. Im sorry to disappoint yall but I don't have room for a 10 gallon tank. I took 1 betta out of this split tank and got a glass bowl for it, my gf is going to take that one to her place. I might look into getting a 1 gallon or 5 gallon tank but as of now this little guy is doing fine.
Well if nothing will convince you, go right ahead. Those who think betas are happy in a bowl has really never seen these guys behave in a real tank...
but go ahead....no on can stop you anyway, it's your own decision ultimately.

a 2.5 gallon isn't that big either. I'm a student too and I have minimal space in my room.... I managed to get that 2.5 tank in. ontop of my book shelf. the books went underneath and the tank went on top. A 2.5 gallon tank is only a foot wide. technically that's the length of a standard ruler....I mean, sure use the 1/2 gallon because you want to, but excuses like "my room is too small for the smallest standard size tank on the market" is kind of sad.

A recommendation for you though. if your room is well lit, look into a lucky bamboo or something that will help soak up all that ammonia build up. And a heater isn't that expensive. now that you've taken a betta out a 25w adjustable heater will fit in the container.... just one last thought for you.

If the water is colder due to the lack of heater, I also recommend a reduced feeding schedule to save your fish from bloat. the norm is to feed bettas twice a day, about 2 pellets per feeding. for you I recommend one feeding every other day of about 2 pellets to prevent constipation.

oh and this is what I did with my 2.5 gallon...

Last edited by ao; 10-31-2012 at 02:53 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #28 
lelei

Wow, Ao, I love your planted tank, it looks like a 5 gal, uggh, my plants are dying, only had Amazon Sword, did well for a while tho, but not now..what type of plants are in that tank??? I want!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #29 
Lisa1010

Wow Aokashi! I love your 2.5 gal tank. But what are all the plants you have in it? And what is the floating plant? How do you keep all those plants healthy?

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #30 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajames05 View Post

I find it amazing that some people can do that..but I personally want to see a fish SWIM, that is what they are meant to do, and when I see fish in bowls, that is depriving them of what they are meant to do..You will never see how beautiful these fish are until you see them swim..I have 3 and 5 gal tanks for all my fish..and lots of plants, and hiding caves, and you want to see a happy fish..you should see mine..I have also rescued 4 out of my 6 fishy's from conditions such as you are describing.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote