Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 
Water

PlEASE HELP - I think my fish has tail/fin rot...

Alright, so last night i came home to my fish sitting at the bottom of the tank not moving at all and grasping for air. I noticed that his fins/tail do not look the same like they did before and I suspect that he has this fin/tail rot disease because there are holes in his upper fin and he doesn't flare anymore. Also, it just looks way thinner. I changed his water last night... I read the document about what kinds of diseases a betta can get and says to change the water 100% every day and add Aq. Salt.. I don't have any Aq. salt, can I add epsom salt instead? Do i necessarily have to go purchase stress coat in order for it to help with the reparation of his fins?
Attached Images

Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #2 
lelei

There maybe a tailbiting issue, or it could be something else..He is a CT, not known for tailbiting, What size tank, and is it heated, also what are you feeding him, and how often, there are a lot of other things that can cause the problem, does he have plants, and a place to hide, and feel secure..?
Stress coat is good for Tailbiting, to repair ripped fins, it will not rot, if the water stayes clean, and warm, no Epsom is best for internal issues, which will have to be ruled out first.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #3 
Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
There maybe a tailbiting issue, or it could be something else..He is a CT, not known for tailbiting, What size tank, and is it heated, also what are you feeding him, and how often, there are a lot of other things that can cause the problem, does he have plants, and a place to hide, and feel secure..?
Stress coat is good for Tailbiting, to repair ripped fins, it will not rot, if the water stayes clean, and warm, no Epsom is best for internal issues, which will have to be ruled out first.
What's a CT? and I believe that he has a one gallon tank and yes it is heated. I feed him these pellets (3 or 4, twice a day - morning and night). No, he has not plants nothing in the tank... I've been wanting to go get something for him.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #4 
lelei

CT is Crown Tail, but If he is biting his tail, could be due to lack of hiding places, Bettas love to hide, and play in leaves, and caves, and yes, It would be a great idea to get some silk leave plants, or real ones, for him to "escape" and hide from light, could be stressing him out, If he is having breathing issues, could be from water, how often are you changing the water, and are you using a Water conditioner?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #5 
Water

Quote:
CT is Crown Tail, but If he is biting his tail, could be due to lack of hiding places, Bettas love to hide, and play in leaves, and caves, and yes, It would be a great idea to get some silk leave plants, or real ones, for him to "escape" and hide from light, could be stressing him out, If he is having breathing issues, could be from water, how often are you changing the water, and are you using a Water conditioner?
I normally change it once a week and I don't have a water conditioner, that's also on my list of things to purchase for him..I don't' really know if he is biting his tail or not, he's acting like he normally acts - with lots of energy and aggression. I am finding him sitting close to the heater more than usual.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #6 
lelei

Ok, so first thing on your list, is and has to be a water conditioner, there are chemicals in the water that can harm your fish, and If possible just upgrade to at least a 2-3 gallon size tank, for more swim room, and you will be able to get a nice hiding cave, and plants in it, if an upgrade is impossible then you will need to change water 3-4x a week at 100% if he is sick, you will need to do this every day..Aquarium salt is not needed, Only clean warm water, also do you have a Thermometer to watch the temp Ideal temp should be 78-80d.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #7 
lelei

Also keep in mind, these wonderful fishy's need a sleep/rest cycle similar to our own, keep him in the dark at night, so he can rest properly,until you can get him some covers..(plants with big leaves) my fishy's love em, and they provide that, ahhh.. i can hide, and no one sees me feeling:)

Oh, and proper nutrition is a must, What kind of pellets are you feeding?

Last edited by lelei; 10-31-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #8 
Water

Quote:
Also keep in mind, these wonderful fishy's need a sleep/rest cycle similar to our own, keep him in the dark at night, so he can rest properly,until you can get him some covers..(plants with big leaves) my fishy's love em, and they provide that, ahhh.. i can hide, and no one sees me feeling:)

Oh, and proper nutrition is a must, What kind of pellets are you feeding?
Alright, I'll definitely be going out sometime soon to purchase such items for him. I've been thinking about getting a bigger tank for quite a while I just haven't the money for it! I do keep him in the dark at night and during the day I just open my blinds a bit so some light can get in but not too much. I feed him Omega one natural protein formula Betta pellets and that's about it. I do not have a thermometer.. but I guess i'll have to buy one as well.

Thank you so much for all your help.