Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #1 
nel3

need information on Crystalwort care.

i got a small patch of Crystalwort and i plan to add it to my divided 5g tank, its at 27c heated and its cycled. i have my VT and 1 nerite on the brightside of the tank.the design of the hood and divider location make it so one side is brighter. the darker side is my DeT. i plan to put the Crystalwort on the brigter side and id like to know if it'll have any issues with the nerite snail. will the nerite eat some of the plant or is it better off on the darker side without a snail for a companion? i keep the snail on the bright side due to brown algea issues. are there any other care tips for Crystalwort aside from pruning issues? id like to eventually take a part of the plant and add it to a spare rock for another patch.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

crystal wort aka riccia will need very little care. it is a plant that will also do well underwater if you tie it to something, however, unlike mosses it will never attach. left floating, it will soon carpet the tank surface.
:) not my favorite plant. but enjoy
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #3 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
crystal wort aka riccia will need very little care. it is a plant that will also do well underwater if you tie it to something, however, unlike mosses it will never attach. left floating, it will soon carpet the tank surface.
:) not my favorite plant. but enjoy
thank you very much. i dont know what they used for the peice i got but it seems like some wood attached to a rock base. can it attach to wood? i havent tried scratching the primary anchor surface but it appears outwardly as wood.

just how would the plant carpet the tank surface? so far its only isolated to the rock, how will it progress?

ive had Anacharis and Wisteria. Wisteria didnt like being uprooted too often nor did the parent plant survive after a cutting, the sister plant was hit and miss. Anacharis is nice but messy when they start to die. ive had some green algea issues with Anacharis too.

Last edited by nel3; 10-31-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Well, like I said. you have to tie the stuff down. it will never anchor itself to anything :P usually makes a huge mess of the tank when you try to trim it XD

I think you should just let it float if you have algae problems, it will have shade the tank for excess light.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #5 
nel3

thank you very much. atm i havent looked into the floating option as im not sure if its possible. it could be tied to the primary rock and sealed by the bottom half of the base. i'll take a look at the material its teid to tomorrow as i dont have much time to do so today. the plant looks nice though i'll see how it reacts as it grows in the future.