Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 
Karebear13

Help cycling tank

Alright So I really could use advice. Hal has been helping me a lot and I appreciate it! We decided to start a thread though to see what we can get out of it. This isn't a tank with a betta it has an axolotl but I have consulted the caudata forum and I didn't get much feedback.

so here is the deal:
I started cycling the tank on August 9th It was going pretty well I would do about 25% water changes twice a day. And finally after about a month and a half it cycled. but then I moved. ANd I transfered the filter in the water so I thought the cycle would not get destroyed. But then the tap water here has ammonia in it which I was unaware of and it seems to have destroyed my cycle. For the past month I have been trying to cycle it but see it going nowhere. Ammonia stays consistently and .5ppm and Nitrite just rose this week to about 2.0 ppm and I can't bring it down. I constantly do water changes everyday.

Because the water has ammonia in it I switched my dechlore to prime to help reduce the toxics. I also started using stability. That didn't seem to help. I also have java moss, Java fern, and pothos roots in there.

Any suggestions are helpful Im in desperate need of the tank to cycle before November 20th.
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

When you moved how long was the bacteria without a source of food or oxygen?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #3 
Karebear13

Well it was a three hour drive, what I did was leave about 20% of the water in the tank and float the cartridge from my tetra whisper in the water and left the sponge filter in there in the water. I just put it like that in the car still left the plants and stuff in there and everything. I just removed the axolotl from the tank during driving and put him in a one gallon. I forgot to mention that I do have a small reading of Nitrates
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote