Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #21 
asukabetta

Day 5: Aquilies is dying..

He's laying completely on his side, gasping, he cannot swim for air no more, lowered water levels but no real point.

He's dying. I can see it in his eyes. He's looking at me "I'm dying-- I'm suffering" kinda look. I can't help but cry, I fail to rescue another betta yet again. I cannot euthanise him. I just can't.

1- I don't have clove oil
2- I do not dare decapitate a being

Is it cruel of me not being able to save him all the suffering? I just feel trapped, I cannot end his suffering but I feel like I cannot prolong his torture...

I doubt I'll ever try to get a sick betta healed up. I think my friend is right, buy healthy ones and provide them with the best life they can get. Which is in a sense saving them from eternity or sickness in a cup if gotten early.

I thank those who helped, gave advice, egged me on.

Sincerely

Asuka.

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-01-2012 at 04:08 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #22 
Sakura8

:( Yup, looks like we have another victim of the mystery disease here. I'm so, so sorry Asuka.

If it's like other cases, it will be over soon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #23 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
:( Yup, looks like we have another victim of the mystery disease here. I'm so, so sorry Asuka.

If it's like other cases, it will be over soon.
yes I hope it's painless as possible. Thanks for your help sakura, also Been wondering how long should I extend Cheshire's treatment to make sure all the ich is gone. He doesn't have spots now but I know it's too soon to stop-- treatment is said to last 5 days then prolong 15 days for safety
Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #24 
Sakura8

That sounds about right for Cheshire.

If it makes you feel any better, bettas don't feel pain and discomfort in the same way we do.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #25 
asukabetta

Quote:
That sounds about right for Cheshire.

If it makes you feel any better, bettas don't feel pain and discomfort in the same way we do.
I hope so... but what do they feel...? Aquilies is just here at the moment, struggling still.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #26 
Sakura8

I don't think they are capable of a conscious thought. Like, when we stub our toe, we think "I am in so much pain." I think for them, it's more like they may feel something but they don't think about it.

I don't know if this would be of interest to you, but the ice bath method may work.

Aquarium Fish Euthanasia
Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #27 
asukabetta

Quote:
I don't think they are capable of a conscious thought. Like, when we stub our toe, we think "I am in so much pain." I think for them, it's more like they may feel something but they don't think about it.

I don't know if this would be of interest to you, but the ice bath method may work.

Aquarium Fish Euthanasia
He passed away. Just now. Snuck out of the house to give him burial in a nearby river. Don't know if it was smart, but at the time it seemed like a good idea, rivers lead the sea, the place where we all came from millions and millions of years ago.

Seemed better than to bury him and have the stray cats/birds dig him up. Or worms eat him..

I'm going to see if I can sleep been up till 3am now just to spend time with him before he was gone.

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-01-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #28 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, Asuka. You did all you could and he was able to pass peacefully in warm, clean water surrounded by love and care. Sleep well, you earned your rest being with him.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #29 
Kevron56

I feel for you Asuka, I lost my little buddy a little over a month ago... I have since cycled my tank and adopted Blooey a week ago. What you have done, all the effort and care you provided, was not all for naught. How would Aquilies have spent his last days if he was still in the fish store? Alone, no attempt of bringing back his health, left for dead... If I were Aquilies, I would have been elated to spend my last days with someone as caring as you.
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote