Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #11 
Irishdancer

I just bought a baby betta today and I was about to start a new thread until I saw this one.

My pet store doesn't carry any live food, and I'm not sure whether they have anything specifically for babies. What is the next best option? All I have right now is pellets from New Life Spectrum, but I have to go back to the store tomorrow because I need to get him a tank. I thought I had a spare one here, but I can't find it.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #13 
brookm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I thought Hikari was bad??
brookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #14 
brookm

would this be good or is this for very small fry http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spect...betta+fry+food
Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, the Bio-Gold is bad. It doesn't mean the rest are bad. (; That's very good as well!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #16 
brookm

Okay so my only other question would be what about water changes etc my tank is obviously not cycled as I had just completely cleaned everything and emptied the tank BUT they filter cartidges are the ones from oughs tank so should I treat the tank as if i am cycling it 2 water changes of 50% 2 times a week for 6 weeks? OR should I do it more/less often for the little guy??
Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #17 
brookm

what about frozen? i have frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp??
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #18 
LadyVictorian

Frozen brine shrimp babies LOVE. My girl practically grew up on it.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #19 
MaggieLynn

Ok I bought a baby betta 3 weeks ago, I feed hikari micro pellets not the best food but sammy is growing and frozen brine shrimp is a yes that works really well. I feed that a couple times a week also crushed pellets will work, higher temp yes the five gallon might be ok my sammy is in a 3 gallon. Also try to do alot of water changes to aid in growth. So yeah clean water, higher temp like said 80* and frozen food if thats what you have for the blood worms just try to make them in smaller chunks. I hope this helps I know it can be over whelming with information, also if you find your baby has issues with not eating my first baby who passed wasnt eating the micro pellets, get hikari first bites or fry food. the hikari first bites is a powder like food so it will be very easy for your baby to eat if it came to that.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #20 
Firefly85

I am rasing my second baby betta from petco, and since they are soo small at first i use a .5 gal critter keeper with a marimo betta heater and a hand full of plants, i change the water every night, and feed as much as i can 3-4 times a day. I use a mixture of freeze dryed food and Aqueon betta pellets crushed up into size it can eat, and gradually increase the size. I also feed frozen brine shrimp once right before water change.
I make sure to monitor the water temp, and I move the baby up in tank size as it grows.
I also have soem pond snail in with it, since i keep the tank pretty green, as in algae. I cup the baby with the cup it came in and float it every water change, I also only rinse the tank with the old water, then add fresh.
I posted a pic on my set up on another thread but here it is again so you can see.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...magejpeg_7.jpg
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote