Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #1 
RaptorX8

Ugh, Ick!

Yep. Plumbob has Ick. My question is: I have plants. Do I need to remove the plants to treat? To put Plumbob in a quarantine tank, the plants would have to be removed anyway for the other tank to fit. I'd rather keep it easy on him so if I could treat him as is in the tank, I would love that. I have aquarium salt and I've also successfully treated Ick with lifeguard more than once in my community tank, but I don't know if those would harm my plants as well.

I want to start treatment ASAP as the last Ick outbreak I had killed some of my fish within 24 hours of first seeing the spots and I check them multiple times a day.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX8 View Post
Yep. Plumbob has Ick. My question is: I have plants. Do I need to remove the plants to treat? To put Plumbob in a quarantine tank, the plants would have to be removed anyway for the other tank to fit. I'd rather keep it easy on him so if I could treat him as is in the tank, I would love that. I have aquarium salt and I've also successfully treated Ick with lifeguard more than once in my community tank, but I don't know if those would harm my plants as well.

I want to start treatment ASAP as the last Ick outbreak I had killed some of my fish within 24 hours of first seeing the spots and I check them multiple times a day.
you can treat ich easily with just heat and a little salt. turn up your heater slowly until you can hot 86F (some heaters wont do this for you), if you can get to 90F it's eve better. it does depend on your fish.

I do recommend otherwise for you to treat him in a separate tank for a few weeks with heat (86F) and salt (3tsp/gallon).

Change out the water atleast once perday with a thorough hot water scrub. it will be easier for you to keep the tank bare.

if you have a full planted tank, you can leave the original tank and plants alone, and quaratine the fish for 2 weeks to a month after he is cured.
if you do not, it is simple to just take the plants out and wash them very carefully and quaratine them in clean water.

if you have access to potassium permanganate, you can nuke your tank (without the fish ofcourse) with this. it does leave a brown residue and will kill any invertebrates along with the parasite.

ich shouldn't kill so fast. what did you use last time to treat your fish? sometimes copper based medicines can kill your fish.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #3 
RaptorX8

I've only ever used Lifeguard. But I hadn't had the chance to get any last time before they died. Figured they would be good until I got home after work. Other fish made it through okay after I started treatment.

I've put Plumbob in his 1 gallon hospital tank. Got some stress coat and about 1tsp aquarium salt in there and I'll increase over the next day or two. Have a new heater I haven't tested yet so it's currently at 82, about the same as his regular tank. Going to leave it for tonight, don't want to risk cooking him overnight when I can't watch it to make certain.

At some point I'll take out the plants and use PP on them, then thoroughly vacuum the gravel. Going to have to feed it some ammonia again to keep the BB. Poor guy keeps staring longingly at his tank. Maybe I should block his view.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote