Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 
emeraldmaster

Please evaulate...

My cousin has given me the permission to post pics of her fish to the "fishy experts". She is an ameture fish keeper, as am i. Her two fish's names are Blue and Aqua. Blue is the boy, Aqua is the girl. Before you say it, YES Blue is actually purple, he was named to be the oppisite of my betta, Red. Blue has red splotches at the bottom of all of his fins EXCEPT his pectorals, my Red has blue at the bas of his fins EXCEPT his pectorals. So the kind of match... He is energetic, measures about 3 1/2 inches long. I think the term is a "king" betta. He refuses to mess with the female after being mauled by her. And yes, despite my complaints, she placed the male and female together. They are in a 10 gallon cycled tank with a temp of 80*F. It has been seed with BB from my filter and has been going for 3 months with these fish in it. Aqua is 3/4 inches long, the same age as Blue, and the exact same coloration. Can a king sized betta and a teeny tiny speck of a betta be related? As said, Aqua has mauled Blue, despite his size. This was done in a 1/4 gallon tank. I DEMANDED that she move them to seperate tanks of a least 5 gallons, she put them in a 10 gallon. She wants to hears anything that you have to say regarding any aspect of her pets, though she won't listen to complaints. Each fish lives on one half of the tank, boy on right, girl on left. It is NOT devided, but they leave each other alone, except for the building of bubble nests.

NOTE: she has verticle lines showing but pops the nest when she sees it. he does not pursue her at all, and she has bred before with my betta, but sadly the babies didn't make it. Thank you!
Attached Images

emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #2 
DragonFish

They're both quite adorable, from what I can see of Blues colors they seem very neat. ;)

I would say they're both, from what I can see...a little hard to see on the girl....just your standard normal VT male and female. Depending on genetics, VTs can be a little on the largish side, but its unlikely that hes got any actual Giant in him.

Such a shame she is too stubborn to at least put a divider in their tank though.....one day she is going to wake up to at least one dead fish, and likely two. Not to mention all the other issues caused by males and females being kept together....stress, hormones, a possible spawn.....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #3 
emeraldmaster

i have now learned that they are sibblings. they act like they are in a sorority or something, it is so peaceful, i am suprised! she offered me Aqua and i intend to get her! i will start a sorority soo and Aqua can be a member! got a better pic, here it is!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 
DoctorWhoLuver

Where did she get the fish? How does she know they are from the same spawn? There are many fish that look alike, but aren't necessarily related. I agree with Dragon Fish, it's never a good idea to keep 2 bettas together. Even if they're are females, let alone a male and female.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #5 
emeraldmaster

we asked our local walmart where they got there last shipment because they all looked alike, they said that it was from a local breeder and gave us a number. we could've gotten a pedigree if we wanted, the breeder is chain breeding to get the perfect king size veiltais that are purple in color, they were part of the same spawn. it was quite the journey to discover her pet's past.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #6 
MaggieLynn

Im a little horrified to see that someone who is a breeder is actually selling to walmart. On the bright side they aren't in tiny tanks, but they need to be separated because males should not be with other bettas. May I ask how old your cousin is?
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Those two shouldn't be together it can only end in one of both betta's killing each other. It's her risk doing this but if she actually loved her fish she would at least divide the tank. If she does not care then she will allow them to kill each other and simply replace them like all those "it's just a fish." people out there.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #8 
emeraldmaster

she is 14. it is better than the 1/4 gallon tank that she DID have devided! they could barely move! i checked up on them again yesterday to see the fish, she bought 3 guppies in a attempt to give a distraction should the day come for a dead betta. they are all female guppies. she also told me that she may get a snail, i told her to hold off until she gets a bigger tank and a devider for said new tank. i did notice that the tip of the male's tail has a nip taken out of it... she told me that it was a guppy but they weren't nippy at all.

Tags
betta, double veil, evalaute, female, male