Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Homemade Foods...?

Do any of you guys know any homemade foods for your Betta? Or any ingredients used in it? I want to make my own "Secret Recipe" for once. Any ideas would be great. :) I've heard of beefheart? Please let me know, Thanks!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #2 
SpookyTooth

I'd love to try this too! I'm going to be having a go at making homemade food for some of my other animals but I'd really love to do something special for my bettas as well.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #3 
whatsupyall

I know this might not help anymore, but just really wanted to say this since I just read up on it. OldFishLady said NO to beefheart lol. A lot of people use this, and it is sold in package as a legit fish food, but I remember someone saying that it is packaged and sold only because of demand for them. Lots of debate over this too, but best thing is to try for yourself and see how that works. I honestly think this is not made for bettas/fish. It's beefheart, and I think it came from a cow? Lol. Some will tell you that you can use it, but use it sparingly lol. That has got to be the most tarded-tarded line evahhhhh. Use it sparingly? Why not just never use it? lol. If you have to use it sparingly!!? Doesn't that tell you something? Anyway, try it out and let us know how it goes. Not just OP, but anyone who is reading this and experimenting with beefheart. Sorry if I'm just babbling.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

I would think making meals from foods naturally available to betta fish: snails, worms, etc.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

The thing with beef heart is more related to the water temp and how the fats are metabolized. With Discus the water temp is kept in the mid to upper 80'sF and this aides in digestion. You can feed beef heart in really small amounts to a Betta-but be careful....

This is my homemade food I make:
Since you should only use human grade food items to start....saute it and put it on pasta...yumm and you can have lunch with your Betta...laffs......

When I make it...it varies each time...depending on what I have since I grow my own spinach and garlic...plus garlic cloves can vary in size as can the spinach leaves...lol.....

Generally..
Shrimp- 1 large raw/frozen or steamed (no added salt or other additives) and I smash this up with the side of a knife....
Garlic-I use 3-5 cloves depending on the size...I crush in a garlic press...roughly half the amount of the shrimp
Spinach-4-6 leaves..blanched-roughly equal amount of the garlic

I blanch the spinach and while still hot I smash it with the garlic and add the shrimp and smash it all together with the side of my knife on a cutting board....it should look green...a green garlicky shrimpy paste

I then feed some and then place the rest in a zip-lock and press out flat and freeze and break off what I need each day to feed....I use the side of my knife and work it and this will thaw it enough to feed......

You are what you eat....the spinach is the greens that are inside the food Bettas eat...like being gut loaded....shrimp the protein and long term (6 weeks+) fresh raw garlic can help with parasites, help build a strong immune response among other things....

I feed this food twice daily to all fish and inverts...I have also used raw fish filet, red worms in place of shrimp and one day I plan to use the meat from common snail...but haven't got around to doing it...lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #6 
MistersMom

i get mosquito larva out of a hole in my tree... and some little white worms that my bettas love.... idk, i may be killing them with those worms, ive only fed it once...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks! :) The beef heart warning helps, thanks so much! I'm going to try to do your recipe OFL. I tried a tilapia cake but it made the tank look cloudy and Lebron had a hard time eating it, lol. Any other sea foods I can feed him?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #8 
whatsupyall

It's probably best to get creative and do some research on the internet, followed by trial and error. Some food do wonders for some people, while they can be disastrous to others. I've stumbled upon at least 2 good recipe somewhere on the internet a month ago. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I remember clams were used in it lol. And well, the other recipe...It's posted here
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote