Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #51 
Myates

I didn't go that cheap route.. I got all the items needed as cheaply as I could though.. Does that count? LOL

I went the tank way rather than the tub way- but I purchased short sided big tubs to place my 32oz clear cups into (with water + heater to keep them all warm).. that was the only "cheap" way I went with my set up.

I said $600, but was way off - looked at my files and all in all (not counting shipping packaging items, etc) I spent $600+ on everything not including tanks + fish.. tanks (for one breeding and one grow out) it equals up to $800-$900 total to start.

Money isn't an object for my breeding, otherwise I would of been going as cheap as I can and nothing wrong with that! I personally would rather be able to see my fry growing and being able to look for deformities easier, which to me is easier to see in tanks.

Good thing you don't need heaters :) It's winter here, snow will be coming soon.. I have no choice but to use heaters and such for mine :(

I wish you luck! You got some great advice from indjo and OFL, indjo has been wonderful in helping me with my coloring genetics for my breeding :)

Last edited by Myates; 11-02-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #52 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow I never knew breeding was that expensive if I breed bettas ever only high quality to A. make them more appealing to people with proper homes and B. maybe make a little money and use it for fish. I have read many pet store fish have already been bred. I am sure you can give them better care than some bad breeders bettas are one of the easier fish to breed.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #53 
inareverie85

I didnt finish reading through yet, but I think the main thing here is you need a plan for the babies.

Do you want to show or breed show quality babies?

Do you just want to breed pets?

Do you have a place for the babies to go once they grow up?

These are my only concerns, really. No matter which way you go, research, research, research!

As far as materials, it can get very expensive.. I house all of my 30+ breeders in a room in my house dedicated to my fish. I keep that room at a stable 86 degrees. Each fish gets water changes every other day. They get high quality pellets and frozen foods.

Then for breeding, you need spawn tanks, lighting, plants (for the girl to hide), IAL, heater, growout tanks (larger) with lights and heater and sponge filter.. You also need live foods and containers for the babies once they get older.

My containers for growing my babies alone will cost me about 600 dollars when all is said and done, but that's because I get the 96 oz. containers, which is roughly .75G per baby.

Last edited by inareverie85; 11-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #54 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Would you say show Bettas are easier to get rid off?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #55 
inareverie85

It depends on how you want to "get rid of" them, I guess.

I personally am breeding show quality for three reasons:

1.) It costs just as much to produce show quality as it does pet quality, so I may as well breed for the best fish I can.

2.) I want to show (obviously).

3.) I don't want to just dump my babies off at pet stores to rot on the shelves. Since I'd prefer to sell my fish to good homes via the internet, I want to breed the best possible quality so that I don't have to send fish off to the pet store. I have a wider clientele (for selling fish) if I breed for higher quality.

The pet store thing depends entirely on your area as well. If I lived near a store that took good care of its bettas, I wouldn't have this concern. Sad thing is though, even my LFS and non-chain stores keep them in horrid conditions.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #56 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

So people with better Betta homes buy better Bettas?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #57 
inareverie85

When it comes down to individual people, no. Not necessarily.

My issue is with pet stores, not people.

I will say that most breeders have more knowledge of the fish than your average non-breeder. But there are many who don't breed and still give the fish excellent care.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #58 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Got it thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #59 
LadyVictorian

My only concern is selling to a petshop. They don't care for their fish and anyone can buy them meaning a lot of your babies will suffer if cruel homes and die painful and sometimes slow deaths. Are you okay with that? I know most people who buy from petstores only buy a fish because it's cheap and they don't feel guilty when it dies because they never changed out the water or they buy them to cram into tiny cases as decoration until it dies and gets replaced Are you fine sending off your fish to a life like that without a care? As someone who studies to breed mice I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I sent my mice to their deaths, I wouldn't bother breeding if i did that.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote