Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #1 
Juicebox

why is veil tales a no no

Im a new betta keeper and have been lookin at the information about breeding them as i might try it in a year or two, my betta is a cheap veil tale i got from pet co last week.

after reading the stickies and guides around this forum it says breeding veil tales is a big nono and you should only breed half moons. can anyone tell me why this is,it says because veil tales are not accepted in the betta show competitions,is this the only reason?

i am thinking that if im goin to breed in a year or two then maybe i should not invest anymore time in my current veil tale and try return him and get a nice half moon before i become too attached to the cute little fella
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 
tpocicat

Part of the reason is that veil tails are very common, that is why they are so cheap to buy. Half moons and crown tails are shown, and if they are close the the IBC standard, they are worth more money.
It all depends on what you are trying to breed for. There are some really beautiful veil tails out there, and if that is what you want to breed for, IMO there is nothing wrong with that as long as you are able to find homes for the fry you can't keep.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Another note, many breeders recommend NOT breeding store bought Bettas. If you want to breed get your Bettas directly from a breeder. The idea for breeding is supposed to be to better the breed not for profit so many times the store bought Bettas are not the best examples of what a show Betta should be. In a sense it's like buying a puppy from a pet store, you never know for certain where it came from but its typically not from somewhere good.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

IMO-nothing wrong with breeding VT or pet shop Bettas. With that said, sometimes with VT it can be more of a challenge to find homes for them-but you can have these issues with any tail types. Every area is different in what sells and what doesn't and how willing and able you are to ship if needed.

A Betta either meets standards or it doesn't and while the IBC doesn't have standard for the Grandfather of this species-The VT that started the Betta craze in the first place-you can show them in the IBC shows.

When breeding pet shop Bettas regardless of tail type-it can sometime take you longer to reach goals or offspring that are closer to the IBC standards. IMO/E working with the mystery genetic can be exciting and more of a challenge-you never know what you will get. If you want to go the easy route or more of a sure thing-starting with a true breeding line that another breeder has been working on for years is the way to go, however, you can still get surprise with them too. The Betta has been selectively bred for so long that anything can popup from time to time.

It boils down to your personal goals and supply/demand in your area.

On a side note-if your plan is to breed in 2-3 years-your current Betta might be past his prime by then. Not that the old guys can't and I have had some awesome offspring produced by some old guys/gals. Do a lot of research, make a plan, set some goals, gather supplies...then go for it....Sometime you have to get your feet wet to learn-you can only read/research so much-some is also trial and error with hands on experience.....You do it for the love and enjoyment...not for money-because you usually don't make much regardless of what you start with-If you break even-you did well.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Also in two years your male, any male will be too old to breed. I say keep your current betta to learn how to care for them. You shouldn't be breeding from profit either because honestly with breeding you will lose money. You are lucky if you break even. Also like said store bought fish shouldn't be bred. They are poor quality fish, Aquabid is the best place to get breeding fish. I also wouldn't breed a male over 1 year of age. For now keep betta's as pets, learn how to properly care for them and what works best with your fish. Only after you have owned them as pets can you breed them. Fry are hard to keep alive and sometimes fish die during breeding.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #6 
Juicebox

thanks for the replies, i was thinking the currrent vt i have might be too old but then i was also thinking about all the tanks and space id need when i do start breeding and if i do have any fry make it,the old vt might be taking up precious space in a tank, but i guess ill stick with him for now and learn what i can,i doubt ill be able give him to someone else when i start gettin too attached to the guy,it would break my heart.i think ill buy some fish from people on this forum when i want to breed,i have seen some beautifull pics ,the one in your pic avatar is beautifull oldfishlady id love to be breeding fish as stunning as them
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
thanks for the replies, i was thinking the currrent vt i have might be too old but then i was also thinking about all the tanks and space id need when i do start breeding and if i do have any fry make it,the old vt might be taking up precious space in a tank, but i guess ill stick with him for now and learn what i can,i doubt ill be able give him to someone else when i start gettin too attached to the guy,it would break my heart.i think ill buy some fish from people on this forum when i want to breed,i have seen some beautifull pics ,the one in your pic avatar is beautifull oldfishlady id love to be breeding fish as stunning as them
I say a fish never takes up space if you love them. Nothing wrong with being a breeder and having a few pets you can fully sit down and enjoy. I have been studying about 3 1/2 years to breed show quality mice and more fun than anything was learning mouse care by keeping pet mice. I could bond with them, understand their nature, their personalities, and learned perfect mouse care through them. They trained me better than any forum or informational book ever will and you know what, it's 10 times more fun to learn care with you pet than on your own. When I start my mouse breeding program I'll appreciate my breeders but to me they will never be as wonderful as the mice that are just pets. Those are the ones who truly only belong to me and that accept me into their own tiny family.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote