Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 
TheCheese909

What types of Anubias are these?

I'm sure these two are different ones and i'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what their proper names are?..

The first one i've had for about a year now, I bought it from PetCo, it's attached to a lava rock. I had it in with a crummy light for so long and it only grew one extra leaf during that time bringing it to 5 leaves that all seem to be fully grown. I recently placed it into a new tank with the correct lighting and it's since grew to a total of 12 leaves with 1 new one that has sprouted just today. It seems like these leaves only grow to a few inches long and a few inches wide maybe at most 3x2? I haven't actually measured them and am only going by what i can see from across the room at the moment lol.. They aren't huge leaves and the stems don't grow out very long either.

This 2nd one I just bought today from PetSmart. It's not attached to anything and I plan on attaching it to this fake rock and adding it to the same tank after it goes through a week of QT. It's stems are much longer and the leaves are shaped a bit different and are quite large as well. It's tag at the store was just like the tag for the other one "Anubias" it didn't give it's scientific name so I don't know which one it is since there are many different ones.
Attached Images

TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

there's quite an extensive list in the anubias genus with many varieties.
wikipedia provides an extensive list. Other forums also have plants lists. but since it's against the rules to link to other aquarium forums I cannot link you here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anubias

it does look like you have an
anubias nana and an anubias barteri
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

you can also try looking up anubias on ebay and seeing if any of the pics match those.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #4 
TheCheese909

Thank you both very much!

I do believe that aokashi hit the names right on the nose. I looked both of them up and from what I can tell both the names are correct. I'm very very sure the first one is a Nana while the 2nd being a barteri I'm about 87%. The photos I see of this one are a bit more confusing, some look very similar while other leaves look more like the Anubias Hastifolia..But I believe aokashi is right.

Thank you very much :)
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote