Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #11 
tanseattle

What I did is that I go to locally own fish store (not petco/petsmart but locally own) when my fries are about 6 weeks and ask them if they want to purchase from you.

Usually they will buy from you. But you need to let them know first so that they do not order from other.

I just delivered 7 male to local fish store this morning. Last night I delivered 3 to a local friends. I still have over 100 of them. My local fish will buy about 10 a week from me. That is one store. I do not have time to take my video to other store. But right now I think that I have the way out.

Like Vil said, it is hard and time consuming. So my next spawn will be so carefully planned. My next spawn was planning 2 months ago. I conditioned them and think about it and paused it. I want to be so special so that if I have to take care of 50 jars I still feel it is worth the time.

Tan
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #12 
tanseattle

Do not buy to many breeding pairs. I used to have about 30 adults. But I am happy now the number goes down to 12.

I will try to go down to 2 pairs only, and keep only one line. My focus is now fancy marble with 3+ color and special pattern.

My wife and I are also very sentimental. Our first betta was King betta from petco. And we will never let him go. So he is still the king in the fish room.

Now all of my betta are marble fancy + 1 King betta. I also still have 3 HM also my wife also want to keep them... Oh my, I am having trouble to downsize to 2 pairs.

So my advice, do not buy anything you see but be very careful with selection. Make it worthy and rewarding.

Tan
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #13 
madmonahan

^ thank you very much! I will DEFINITLY look into that! :) iv also been wondering how you can tell the age of a betta? My bettas are all petstore, and people say that they are usually 1+years but I want to know how can you TELL? :) never really gotten a solid answer, i'v heard by the color, length, ect but I want to know EXACTLY what color should they be at a certain age, and how many inches!? There must be some way to tell....
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #14 
tanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonahan View Post
^ thank you very much! I will DEFINITLY look into that! :) iv also been wondering how you can tell the age of a betta? My bettas are all petstore, and people say that they are usually 1+years but I want to know how can you TELL? :) never really gotten a solid answer, i'v heard by the color, length, ect but I want to know EXACTLY what color should they be at a certain age, and how many inches!? There must be some way to tell....
I think people are wrong about petstore betta are over 1+ year old. No 1. most commercial mass produce, they want to sell their fish within 3 months. It costs them so much more to keep the fish longer.

No 2. Fish store turn over very fast. Their conditions are not suitable for keeping betta too long.

So I am not sure why betta at fish store are over 1 year old? I am guessing it should be around 3-4 months.

I look at fish store betta. they look young. For example I had my King betta from petco for about 8 months now. He was still growing when I got him. Fish over 1 year old won't grow anymore (they are full mature by 7 months).

So I am not sure why people say that...
Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #15 
tanseattle

My betta is 4 days from 3 months old. But they are only about 1/2 the size of other breeders' betta at this age. I do not think you can tell.

I can tell that fish are young if they are still growing...
Old 11-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #16 
vilmarisv

Tan is right. You really can't tell. A betta can change colors at anytime in their life and their growth is influenced by water conditions and nutrition.
I've seen 2 month old betta juvies look like 4 week old fry and a 2 year old betta look like as energetic as a 6 month old betta.
The only way to know for sure the age of your fish is to buy from a breeder that keeps a records and can tell you the age.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #17 
madmonahan

Oh ok. I get it now :) well off to my volleyball tournament! Wish me/us some good luck! ;p I appreciate everyones help! "dramatic tone" What would I do without you?! ;) ;p hehe!
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote