Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #1 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

So excited!!! [22 gallon update!]

So yesterday I got a filter, heater, some more gravel/rocks and SHAWN and I set it up! I couldn't believe it but Shawn set it up and he did great! I was impressed C;
First he set down the soil and leveled it then put the gravel rocks in
then we put the plants in and started filling it up then I added the heater and filter and such.

After it was filled and everything was okay I acclimated Ciroc AND HIS NEW BUDDY MAC THE GOLDEN APPLE SNAIL!
and he is soo cool and funny!!!

I do need to get more plants tomorrow though. A light too!
Right now I have the light from the 5 gallon. I got one from walmarts light section but it was too big -.-

I'm going to post pictures as soon as I get home! [If my internet isn't still down, last night it was acting up]

And I have some questions about the heater.
It's a tetracare for 10-20 gallons from walmart.
It says when the red light is on the heat is on but since I plugged it in it will be red one minute then it will shut off going back and forth, is the normal??

Also, it is'nt adjustable and the temp stay at 74 + 2 F
I have that one and the other one I had in the 5 gallon meant for 1-1 1/2 gallons and the temps are between 76 and 80
Is it okay if I keep both heaters in if they keep the temp stable?
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Congrats on the new tank. Have you read up on cycling a tank? Since you have fish in it it is REALLY important to test your water daily & do water changes when ammonia and/or nitrites are >.25. As for the heater, there isn't a knob on it that you adjust? I have 3 top fin heaters & an Aqueon heater all of which have a dial on the top I turn to where I want it, there is a red light that will come on when they're heating the water & then it goes off when the water is the correct temp. I would be VERY reluctant to add another non-adjustable heater which I'm guessing is what your talking about it doing. I would purchase an adjustable one.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #3 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Congrats on the new tank. Have you read up on cycling a tank? Since you have fish in it it is REALLY important to test your water daily & do water changes when ammonia and/or nitrites are >.25. As for the heater, there isn't a knob on it that you adjust? I have 3 top fin heaters & an Aqueon heater all of which have a dial on the top I turn to where I want it, there is a red light that will come on when they're heating the water & then it goes off when the water is the correct temp. I would be VERY reluctant to add another non-adjustable heater which I'm guessing is what your talking about it doing. I would purchase an adjustable one.

Thank you so much!!
The ammonia is like 0.02 or something, I have one of those sit in tester that you attach onto one of its sides.
And no, there is no knob whatso ever.
Here is a link to it: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heat...-Pets/10291809

and this is the one I have on the other side opf the aquarium:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #4 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Alos, I'd like to get a bottom feeder or 2 but I have gravel rocks

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-Pets/20613545

Would I be able to get a kuhlie fish or 2? Or a clown loach?
If not, any opinions?

Last edited by ItsKourtneyYoC8; 11-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

And thats the ammonia tester I have, just the ammonia one though, not the ph onw.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #6 
SparklE fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
Alos, I'd like to get a bottom feeder or 2 but I have gravel rocks*

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-Pets/20613545

Would I be able to get a kuhlie fish or 2? *Or a clown loach?
If not, any opinions?
Clown loaches can get up to 14in and like to live in groups like schooling fish (6+ fish) and as adults need about 75 gallons bare minimum. You can get khuli loaches only if you have sand or small rounded gravel. They like to burrow and don't have scales, so they'll cut themselves up otherwise. They also have sensitive barbels that can get infected if it gets cut and goes untreated. Ive seen Walmarts gravel and i think its too hard. If you ask me, the snail you have is one of the best bottom dwellers. They never really stop cleaning. *If you want other fish, try White Cloud Minnows, Shrimp (be wary of ghost shrimp though, there have been some cases of prawn[eats fish starting at he fins while it sleeps] getting in with them as they look identical), Oto catfish, etc. Good luck on your magical adventure of bettas
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #7 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklE fin View Post
Clown loaches can get up to 14in and like to live in groups like schooling fish (6+ fish) and as adults need about 75 gallons bare minimum. You can get khuli loaches only if you have sand or small rounded gravel. They like to burrow and don't have scales, so they'll cut themselves up otherwise. They also have sensitive barbels that can get infected if it gets cut and goes untreated. Ive seen Walmarts gravel and i think its too hard. If you ask me, the snail you have is one of the best bottom dwellers. They never really stop cleaning. *If you want other fish, try White Cloud Minnows, Shrimp (be wary of ghost shrimp though, there have been some cases of prawn[eats fish starting at he fins while it sleeps] getting in with them as they look identical), Oto catfish, etc. Good luck on your magical adventure of bettas

I was thinking about getting some sand and getting some pygmy cories.
I was wondering, have you ever heard ofupside down catfish?
I used to have one and he was awesome. I believe they et 6 inches
Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #8 
kfryman

Any pictures of this tank?

Go to a home depot or Lowes and go to where they have the cement and everything. They will have play sand there that is $5 for 50lbs, just needs to be washed. Great stuff as well.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #9 
Wendyjo

Don't add any more fish until the tank is cycled. You need to invest in a master drop test kit if you are going to start a community tank.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #10 
SparklE fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
I was thinking about getting some sand and getting some pygmy cories.
I was wondering, have you ever heard ofupside down catfish?
I used to have one and he was awesome. I believe they et 6 inches
Don't use fine sand, especially for a beginner. I'd be led to believe its too hard to clean. Try Petsmart sand as it is harder to get picked up by the flow and easier to clean. Pygmy cories would be great and they're cute to boot. If you really want to see their personalities get 6+. They're like puppies, they are everywhere in you tank. I've seen Upside down catfish at my LFS. They're adorable and get 2-5 inches long. Well, they like to be in small schools where they will show you their best personality. I think 6 would be ok for your tank. However I'm not the best when it comes to stocking so you'll have to ask if you someone else if you can have both or not
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote