Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #11 
bettasplash

I didn't know it was so harmful for bettas, i read somewhere that it should be done with each water change because it is soothing for them and helps them adjust after a water change. I've never added salt everyday, only with water changes which is once a week, but i will def. stop adding it.
I find the whole betta care confusing tho. There are TONS of articles out there but they all say something different. Even the experts don't agree on all points.
anyway, i guess all i can do is try to keep learning about what is best.
Thanks for your advice :)
bettasplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #12 
whatsupyall

Bettas can tolerate brackish water, but don't abuse it. Above all, you've done a great job in keeping him for 2 years. I think it's his time to go lol. Try a salt bath. If you still have time and money, try kanaplex. Good luck.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

If you want to add something soothing add stresscoat. It helps put slime on a fish's body and can prevent some illnesses via keeping a healthy coat of slime.

Edit: And I'm sorry but 2 is young for a betta so it shouldn't be his time to go if well cared for. Betta's live 5 to 7 years, sometimes 10. He's been is salt this whole time so honestly salt will do nothing, anything he has is immune to that now.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 11-02-2012 at 10:01 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #14 
whatsupyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
If you want to add something soothing add stresscoat. It helps put slime on a fish's body and can prevent some illnesses via keeping a healthy coat of slime.

Edit: And I'm sorry but 2 is young for a betta so it shouldn't be his time to go if well cared for. Betta's live 5 to 7 years, sometimes 10. He's been is salt this whole time so honestly salt will do nothing, anything he has is immune to that now.
I'm not saying he's a goner because of his age, but because of his condition lol. He's been in brackish water, not salt. Anything he has now, is immune to that amount of salt, but more salt, a salt bath, CAN potentially cure it. It's worth a try as the fish is nearing end. I could be wrong in that doing nothing can possibly save his life along with frequent water changes. Just try something, anything, and let us know how that goes. P.S. Bettas live up to 10 years? Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet LV lol. I don't doubt that, but I believe it's rare. I find even 7 years is also rare lol. Now 5 years, I can see that more feasible as I have kept bettas up to 40 months or so.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #15 
LeoTheLakerBetta

In a more natural environment, bettas can live a lot more longer than you would think. Wild betta splendens can live up to that amount of years but it is really dependent on how well the environment is.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #16 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Sorry for being off-topic. I hope your fish makes it bettasplash.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #17 
DoctorWhoLuver

Once aquarium salt is used for a prolonged period of time it becomes un-effective, because the fish or bacteria develops an immunity to it. You might as well stop using it since it's not improving his condition. Good Luck, maybe try malachite green?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #18 
LadyVictorian

AH...and never use anything with the word Fix in it o.o, that's damaging to a betta's labyrinth organ.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #19 
bettasplash

Thanks Everyone for your input! I have stopped using the salt and am now treating him with Furan2 and Kanaplex. I'm also using stress coat. He's still doing about the same, i just hope i am keeping him more comfortable.
bettasplash is offline   Reply With Quote