Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #1 
Rcguerra

Help me put together the perfect 5gal luxury home

Don't get me wrong, I am not a millionaire. But I am planning to have a betta tank at my desk at work, and for me to do so it can't look cheap otherwise I do get in trouble. So here is the thread: If you had a US$200.00 budget for a desktop aquarium for a single male betta, how would you spend it?

TANK: I'm very inclined to get the new Fluval V Spec, but I heard the filter is too strong for a betta. Along the same lines, any recommendation? There is a jbj 12 gallon on my local Craig's list for $100, but that's too big and too pricey, living no money for anything else. Unless you recommend getting that one if it is a bargain. I can go up to 10 gallons, as long as it is a decent shape for an office space and is not bigger than my desktop computer. JbJ looks awesome, and I really dig the black background. Anything out there similar for less?

Heater: No idea, not even where to start. the price range varies, and I don't want to spend more than the necessary money to get a heater. At the same time, I want something with a decent thermostat so the water doesn't get into 100F as I already read about. Please help me on this one.

Filter: if for any reason these nano tubes, fully integrated systems are not a good idea, please point me in the right direction

plants: I would rather have at least one natural plant inside the aquarium instead of silk one (I already read: no plastics to avoid fin damage). I really like the looks of the moss balls, but is there a plant that (no matter how ugly it looks) is beneficial to Bettas?

My purchase will take place in January. Between now and then I am reading about water quality, tank size, nitrogen cycle and everything else. If you can contribute with a list of everything I need to make this the dream home to this generic betta that I will rescue from the local big pet store, I appreciate it.

Thank you all in advance.
Rcguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

At pet stores you can get a ten gallon kit for 50.00$ black sand, live plants, driftwood, and a weak filter or sponge filter it would be cool if you had plants like peace lilies growing out of holes in the lid.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Not sure the cost of them over there, but I personally would ditch the kit idea. I find a lot of equipment in kit style tanks tend to be either fairly low quality or not really suitable for a betta.

If it was me with that budget, I would purchase a 25 or 30cm Mr Aqua rimless aquarium cube. I would look into the Aquaclear HOB range of filters, as well as Eheim jager or Fluval 25-50 watt heaters.

Anubias, java fern, bolbitis etc. are really low care plants that are very commonly available. Best way to get cheap plants that are of high quality? Join a planted tank forum and become part of the community there. You can usually pick up lots of different plants in the classifieds section for a great price. Generally quite a bit cheaper than what's available through online or brick and mortar stores.

Plants like those mentioned above don't need artificial light, fertilisers or special substrate to grow, so are very budget friendly.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Marmo and java moss are great my ten gallon kit from petsmart worked out great.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #6 
homegrown terror

since pretty much everything else has been covered, i've got a recommendation for decoration/hidey spot. we just picked this http://www.petco.com/product/118880/...t=OnSiteSearch up for Jack Skellington's tank and it's absolutely beautiful, and fully hollow with plenty of in-and-out openings for him to swim through. the tree stump on the top is open as well, so you could have some stem plants growing out of it into a canopy at the water surface. it'd be lovely in a little forest of anubias nanas, i think.

homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #7 
Rcguerra

My main desire with the kits is just the fact that they are all self-contained with a nice way to hide all the components (including having the heater out of the field of vision). Can that be achieved with a custom set? Do they glue compartments or sell aquariums with hollow chambers, like the kits but with room for your on set-up?

It might be a good idea to drop the smart phone and go on a field research trip instead of checking stuff online.
Rcguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.bing.com/search?q=ten+gal...c=0-0&sp=-1&sk=
Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #9 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguerra View Post
My main desire with the kits is just the fact that they are all self-contained with a nice way to hide all the components (including having the heater out of the field of vision). Can that be achieved with a custom set? Do they glue compartments or sell aquariums with hollow chambers, like the kits but with room for your on set-up?

It might be a good idea to drop the smart phone and go on a field research trip instead of checking stuff online.
most filters and heaters can be easily disguised through advantageous placement of plants and inserts. if you use a HOB filter (hang-on-back) you can place a few very tall bushy plants (either live or silk) in front of it to hide it from view (this will also cause any current from the filter to be dispersed and minimally bothersome to your betta) as for heaters, most are slim and tube-shaped, and don't stand out heavily in a well-decorated tank. you can also use an under-gravel pad heater, but you have to be more careful about the temperature since most aren't adjustable. if it's too warm, you can plug it into a dimmer to adjust the temperature.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard and seen many Bettas like to hang out near the Heater they are curous and adventurous you should also get IAL if you are going for everything in a ten gallon you could keep some Dwarf Cories. You could also keep semi-aquatic plants like pothos in the filter in if in the lid the roots growing in are good hiding spots for Bettas.