Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #1 
christopher73

can bettas share their home with differnt small fish?

Hey this is Christopher (new betta owner/how do i clean the bowls).
Well I just wanted to say thanks for all the great feedback, I've been successfully cleaning the bowls about 2-3 times a week, not changing all the water at one time and my bettas seem to be doing great! both are very lively, eating well (2 days betta food, 3rd day live blood worms). they're bright and vibrant, and... ready for their brand new homes!!!

I decided to take everyones advice on this site and got them each a 5 gallon tank, with filters, heaters, thermometers, and even $100 worth of beautiful chunks of driftwood and various freshwater plants! (those plant sure aint cheap!!!)
The water has been in the tanks for 2 weeks, and I took samples to the fish store (half a block away) and they said one of the tanks was ready and i'm about to move a betta in. the fish store owners said I can have other small fish with the bettas. most fish wouldn't work, but small, fast fish could.
So I bought 3 small, really lovely guppies(2male, 1 female) and after dripping the tanks water into their water for hours until the pH level matched, i then put em in a bag and after 20 minutes, let them free in the tank. the betta is in the process of the dripping to match pH levels, which is what they said i should do at the fish store.

Everything is checking out, ammonia, nitrite and pH.
my question is: is it really a good idea to have the betta share his 5 gallon home with 3 small guppies? did i make a hasty mistake in buying them today? or will it be fine?

I appreciate any help on this matter, and i apologize for rambling on, but i really do love my fish and this whole experience!!
thanks!
Christopher
christopher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 AM   #2 
Flashygrrl

Unfortunately, guppies weren't a good choice due to their flowing fins and they can't move fast enough to get away from him. Also, usually we don't like to put bettas and other kinds of fish into a 5 gallon just because there's too much of the territorial behavior from the betta, what we usually do is recommend an ADF or some small shrimp (which may also get picked on)...generally something that doesn't take up the betta's swimming area. It's only in a 10 gallon or higher that we start recommending other fish, like rasboras and cories.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #3 
christopher73

Thanks flashy girl. I'm gonna get a separate tank for the guppies. The betta does chase the guppies, although he can't seem to catch them... yet. I don't want to stress either species out, thats of the utmost importance.
There are a lot of living plants in the tank, and two large pieces of driftwood. the betta can definitely swim around, but do they like more space? do they like lots of nooks and crannies to hang out in? I haven't found much in my readings as to what environment they prefer, except bigger is better.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #4 
Flashygrrl

A 5 gallon with all the hiding spots is a GREAT tank for your betta and I'm sure he will thank you for it in his own cute way. Drip acclimation for bettas and other hardier fish really isn't a necessity unless your pH is WAYYYYYY different, instead I usually float the bag closed for 10 mins, float it open for another 10 (either roll the bag up so there's air trapped in the rolls or tie it to something and keep an eye on it), then pour a little (about 1/2-1 cup) of the newer tank water in, wait 10, pour some more in, wait and then release them by either netting them out (for other fish) or using a small cup for a betta since their fins get damaged easily.

One thing I just noticed: Your guppy ratio should be 1 male to 2 females, otherwise they will fight over her AND harass her to death. Can you return one and get another female? Try to pick out one that doesn't look pregnant too :) Those things are like Tribbles, I swear.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #5 
christopher73

thanks so much. will move the guppies asap, and try to exchange a male for female. should have read more of the post on the site, seems a lot of people are asking about tank mates. I just took the aquarium store employees word.
thanks - i love this site!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #6 
Cody

Beware, though. You will be overrun by fry in no time. I would just swap out the females for males, unless you have the space for the babies, and/or a place to give them away.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #7 
Flashygrrl

I figured 3 males in a 5 gallon would be too aggressive with each other and 5 don't really fit very well (since they're less aggressive in bigger groups). Hmmmm....