Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 
BassoonChu

Smile Newby

Hi all!
I have been looking at this forum for a while and finally decided to join to make sure my new fish, Yo-han, stays as healthy as possible. He is a crown tail and I currently have him in a 1 gal to to keep him from getting shocked by putting him in a huge tank too fast (I have a ten gal, slow upgrades feel safer than jumping in too fast). My first betta lived to be 7, he died when my mom tried to put some pretty rocks in his tank and didn't look to see they contained lead.
Right now he is in a glass bowl with temps around 78-82 without using a heater, to be safe I decided against it, at least until after winter when we turn the heater off in our dorm. He HATES pellets so I feed him flakes and I do weekly water changes, he also has a marimo ball with him to help keep the tank a bit healthier between water changes. He also has a hammock
Of y'all have any tips I'd love to hear! I'm always up for learning more and bettering my set up!
BassoonChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hello and welcome to the forum!
The rumors of Bettas being shocked in big tanks are just plain fake. They're fine in any tank as long as it's not too high. 7 years is a lot since the average is around 3. I'm sorry he died, though. :(
All I can say for advice is to get the biggest tank possible, feed him a variety of foods, and do water changes accordingly. Are you going to cycle your 10? Read all the stickies as well!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Yeah the thing about shock is a lie. I took my betta from a cup to a 5 gallon and he didn't go into shock, he got excited and started exploring his new home. My female is going from a 2.5 to a 10 gallon. In fact betta are amazed by the space since they are kept in cramped cups with little stimulation and no room to swim. They are high energy fish if cared for properly and my male in the 5 gallon is always on the move and always swimming through his plants.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #4 
sainthogan

My girl went from a 1/2 gallon (yes, I didn't know any better) to a 5 gallon while she was sick, and she loved it. (She was sick from being in a tiny container and my naivety - I know better know). Even though she was extremely lethargic, she would use all her energy to explore her new home, then when she was too tired, she would float back to the top and stay there for hours, then explore again. She never went into shock and actually healed very quickly. (she had velvet)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #5 
BassoonChu

He died about two years ago, he had lost a good deal of color from age too(I'd never seen a male so dull!), after year four he became a part of the family so it was hard when my dad put him down, but he's not suffering anymore.
I'm thinking of trying cycling I'm just not totally sure how to do it, especially with such a big tank! Also, do you have any advice on a good heater for a ten? I know that one will certainly require one! I'm also not conditioning because I'm buying spring water, is that ok? Or should I still condition for the slime coat?
Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Remember, read the stickies! This, this, and this will help you with your cycling. A 50-75 watt heater should be proficient. I recommend a Hydor THEO heater, those are pretty good adjustable ones.
Tap Water is best for them as they have the needed minerals that your bettas need. But you'll need to condition, though. Add conditioner even if your water doesn't need it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

You still need to condition spring water and remember with spring water it will get expensive since you need weekly water changes with a big tank even. Also spring water lacks proper minerals that are needed so you will have to buy a supliment.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 
BassoonChu

I've certainly got a lot of work ahead of me! :D thanks y'all!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

I can help explain the 7 year life span. in room temperature which tends to be a lot cooler, the coldblooded betta fish will slow down. it's metabolism will also slow down. This gives it a chance at a longer life, but also a higher chance of diseases. Therefore a betta fish surviving 7-8 years in a unfilter cold bowl is not uncommon.

but if you want to see the best of your fish, in terms of activity and color, a larer heated tank is a good choice :)

at 78F you fish will not live till 7. but it will live a happy pampered life.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #10 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I can help explain the 7 year life span. in room temperature which tends to be a lot cooler, the coldblooded betta fish will slow down. it's metabolism will also slow down. This gives it a chance at a longer life, but also a higher chance of diseases. Therefore a betta fish surviving 7-8 years in a unfilter cold bowl is not uncommon.

but if you want to see the best of your fish, in terms of activity and color, a larer heated tank is a good choice :)

at 78F you fish will not live till 7. but it will live a happy pampered life.

I don't know about that. My friend had a Betta live 7 years in a heated and filtered 5 gallon tank. She said the average temp was 79. Her others averaged 4-6 years in lifespan. (We were talking about pets the other day and I mentioned I had gotten a Betta. She told me that she had several Bettas as a teenager, and we were sharing stories and experiences)

Someone else on here said that the average lifespan should be between 6 and 10 years for a healthy Betta with proper care (I can't remember who it was though)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote