Betta Fish Forum banner

My betta is sick and I don't know what to do!

4K views 88 replies 18 participants last post by  Aqua Betta 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had my betta for over 2 years, and he has always been very active and healthy. I had him in a 3 gallon tank and just moved him to a 5 gallon today. For the past few months he has been very lethargic and laying on the bottom of the tank on his side. It seems like he has trouble swimming, but he has still been eating a little bit. For lack of a better description, the main thing that looks wrong with him is his anus - it has turned black and looks like it is rotting. I added a little epsom salt (1/2 tsp) when I put him in the new tank today and am not sure what else I can do for him. I just don't have the heart to give up just yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

These are the best photos I can get right now.

See less See more
#29 ·
I found the Triple Sulfa at Petsmart and put in 1/2 packet (it says 1 packet for 10gal). My question now is it says to redose tomorrow and then do a water change the next day, but with the AQ salt I am supposed to do a water change tomorrow too? What should I do?

#30 ·
Go ahead and redose and do the water change the next day. The salt will be okay, as it doesn't evaporate. The main reason we suggest the frequent water changes is to keep the water as clean as possible to minimize chances of infection. I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but only replace as much salt as you take out.

#31 ·
Thanks, I will do a water change tomorrow then. How long should I keep up with the medication?

This morning I noticed he was moving around a little bit more. His eyes looked different too, like they had a pupil and iris instead of just being totally black like they were. I'm not sure f this is a good sign or not. He did not show interest in his pellet food this morning but I am bringing him some live Daphnia magna from work so hopefully he will be excited about that. Curious to see how he looks when I get home this afternoon...

#33 ·
Okay, I think you are right about the light...I just never noticed it before. He did have a different type of light in his old tank so that could be it.

I brought a bunch of Daphnia magnas home for him today and he has eaten quite a bit - yay! Will bettas overeat when fed live food? This betta is pretty thin and needs nourishment, but just for further reference. Is it okay for me to feed him live daphnia often, or should I reserve it for every once in a while? I have access to as many as I want whenever I want so if he can/should eat them every day that is possible. Thanks!

#34 ·
It's okay to feed live daphnia every day for now but once he gets back to health, it would be a good idea to switch his foods around so he gets a more balanced diet. Like pellets one day, daphnia the next.

The daphnia is excellent because it will help clean his little system out.

So glad to hear he's eating something. :)

#35 ·
He usually gets pellets, so that won't be a problem to switch them up. He looks pretty fat right now (for the first time in months)! The best part about the daphnia is they swim right up to him instead of him having to go to the top for floating pellets.

Thank you again Sakura for all your help, things are looking up for my poor guy. :)

#37 ·
Day 2 of the Triple Sulfa and I can't really tell if it's helping. He is definitely more active, and has eaten every Daphnia I have given him (he's probably eaten at least 50 large adults between yesterday and today). His color might be improving a little bit, but otherwise he is still laying mostly on his side and still having trouble swimming. I did a water change today. I have two more days of using the Triple Sulfa and it says on the box that repeating treatment may be necessary.

I took these pictures today, maybe the experts can tell me a prognosis?

This is pretty much how he lays all the time, on his side with his head raised a little bit.

#38 ·
:( The fact that he's eating is great but other than that, the poor guy looks pretty sad. If it's necessary, you can put him in a cup or container filled with tank water and float him in his tank. That way, he can reach the surface easier to breathe.

You're very lucky. If he didn't have live food, he would most certainly be gone. If he can keep eating and keep his strength up, that's good. I'm pretty concerned though because it does look like the rot is starting in on his body. :( I have a feeling a repeat course of the Triple Sulfa will be necessary.

You're doing a great job with him and he is very lucky to have you.

#40 ·
Yes, it has been on his body all along I think - I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm pretty sure his bones are sticking out. :( It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse though once I started treatment, which is good.

I am planning on repeating the Triple Sulfa once I'm done with the 4 day course. I have enough to do 5 total treatments with the Triple Sulfa (1 box has 10 packets, 2 packets per 4 day treatment), but I don't know if I should keep going with it that long.

He doesn't seem to have any trouble getting to the surface, but he does swim up there very fast and then right back down so I might try floating him. I will be bringing him more Daphnia today.

#41 ·
Here's another photo that I took today - this will be the 4th day of adding Triple Sulfa to his tank.

You can really see the extent of the damage here. It still has not gotten any worse, so I hope that means it's improving. He seems to be having a little easier time moving around his tank today, and is fat with Daphnia.

#42 ·
:shock: Oh dear, it really has gone to his body. I can see some pus-filled ulcers there.

What I wish could be done is actually applying something to that affected area . . . but it would probably take a veterinarian for that. I would definitely continue with the Triple Sulfa. What a little fighter he is to carry on while his butt's being eaten away.

#43 ·
I still feel like such a terrible betta owner. I found a photo of him from February 2011, and he did not have ANY of that blue/black stuff at all but still had melting fins. He was suffering then and it has just slowly progressed. My poor guy. :(

I am floating him in a cup in his tank now - he seemed very stressed out at first but now seems more relaxed. He has been in there since about 8pm last night and has not pooped at all, a little worried about that. I changed the water in his cup this morning with fresh out of the tank. I am doing a water change in his tank today and will be adding more Triple Sulfa. It really would be a miracle for him to pull through this...

#44 ·
Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between normal color change in bettas and disease-caused color change. Don't feel bad, these things happen. Even healthy bettas can have fins that don't look normal.

The daphnia should help keep his system regular so hopefully he'll poop soon.

#45 ·
Yes, he has pooped a few times now. He is also eating his pellets again which is good because I won't be able to get more Daphnia until Tuesday. I will update with pictures once I can see some improvement in his fins. For what it's worth he does seem to be feeling a bit better even though I can't see any differences in his appearance...

#46 ·
Oh that's great. If he seems to be feeling better, hopefully that means the rot has stopped advancing. Now we need to wait for the dead tissue to fall off so new tissue can grow back. However, the damage is severe enough that his fins may never grow back properly.

#47 ·
I am expecting him to not look 100% normal but that's okay as long as he is healthy and happy! None of the black/blue stuff has fallen off yet. I started my 2nd treatment cycle with the Triple Sulfa yesterday, should I continue treating with that until I see new growth or when should I stop? I already know to stop with the AQ salt at 10 days. Thanks again!

#48 ·
I'd continue with the Triple Sulfa until the end of its course and then stop for a day or two to give him some recovery time. If the rot seems truly gone by then, we can stop treatment but if it seems like it might start advancing, we'll start him back on the Triple Sulfa.

If you have a product like API Stress Coat or Kordon Fish Protector, that will help protect those open wounds from further infection.

Really rooting for this little guy to pull through.

#53 ·
There is nothing on the Aqua Safe bottle about adding more for their slime coat. My mom told me that she has Stress Coat and it says to add a teaspoon per 10gal for extra slime coat, so I just followed that instruction with the Aqua Safe. Hope it's okay...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.