Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #51 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
Oh right, haha I guess in between anal/caudal fins would have been a better description. Anyway, yes, he's had the black for almost as long as he's been acting weird. I just added the salt today when I put him in his new tank. 1/2tsp to 5 gallons, so not very much. Something I just noticed - it almost looks like there are bones sticking out from the rot...is that possible? :(

Is it treatable? Is it contagious? Should I euthanize him? Poor guy, I feel so bad.
I lost one of my betta's to this disease, some say its some form of columnaris, but there isn't much you can do, it takes about 24 hours for the fish to succumb, I'm very sorry, so far for the mystery disease there is no cure. Just keep his water clean, warm, and love, at least the betta will be happy and cared for till he dies.

If it gets worse or he seems to be in pain u can always euthanise him. I never had the heart to do it. My betta stopped being able to swim and he drowned to death...
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #52 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
I lost one of my betta's to this disease, some say its some form of columnaris, but there isn't much you can do, it takes about 24 hours for the fish to succumb, I'm very sorry, so far for the mystery disease there is no cure. Just keep his water clean, warm, and love, at least the betta will be happy and cared for till he dies.

If it gets worse or he seems to be in pain u can always euthanise him. I never had the heart to do it. My betta stopped being able to swim and he drowned to death...
I'm pretty sure he just has a really bad fin/tail rot. He has been getting worse for months, and hasn't gotten any worse since the treatment started. I have high hopes that he will recover!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #53 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If the instructions say it's safe to add a bit more, then I would go ahead and do that. The idea is to coat the open wounds with slime coat and products like Aqua Safe and Stress Coat encourage the product of more slime coat.
There is nothing on the Aqua Safe bottle about adding more for their slime coat. My mom told me that she has Stress Coat and it says to add a teaspoon per 10gal for extra slime coat, so I just followed that instruction with the Aqua Safe. Hope it's okay...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #54 
carbonxxkidd

Is it possible for Scully to have new fin growth on the black parts? Nothing has fallen off, but it looks like there is a clear lining to his back end and fins.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #55 
Sakura8

It is possible, yes. That would be very encouraging. :)

I think, generally, it's pretty hard to overdose on most water conditioners so you should be okay with the Aqua Safe.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #56 
carbonxxkidd

Alright, so today is day 8 of the Triple Sulfa. I read somewhere to use it for 10 days, so I am going to do that since I am also using the AQ salt for 10 days. Anyway, I am attaching a couple photos, the first is from yesterday and the second is from today. Based on the pictures, it really doesn't look like he has improved at all. I am going to stop all treatments on the Friday the 9th and do a 50% water change and put my filter media back in.
What now?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #57 
Sakura8

My best advice would be to give him a week off all meds and then start him on a powerful punch of neomycin and kanamycin together. These meds can be found in Seachem Neoplex and Seachem Kanaplex, both of which usually must be ordered online and can be found at Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products. If you think he is strong enough to withstand it, we can add Seachem ParaGuard to this mix for an even more potent medication. However, this is very strong and although it might knock that infection, it might knock him too. :/

Whatever you do, keep him eating. Once the little guy stops eating, it's all over.

You're doing an excellent job. Without you and your live daphnia, I have a feeling he would be dead by now.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #58 
carbonxxkidd

Oofda.

I will definitely give him a week off. Do you think administering the Triple Sulfa again would do anything or not? I don't really want to spend money on more meds, I hate to say it. I also don't want to put him under more stress than need be. I don't have the heart to euthanize him, so if anything he will be comfortable and get all the daphnia he wants until he's ready to go...
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #59 
Sakura8

We can try the Triple Sulfa again but the only downside is it can cause kidney damage after prolonged use.

Ideally then, what I would do is take him off the Triple Sulfa when the second course is finished. If he is acting okay and the rot doesn't advance, keep him off for a week and then start him on 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon for 14 days. If the rot does advance, start him back on the Triple Sulfa ASAP and we'll have to hope his kidneys hold out.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #60 
carbonxxkidd

Does AQ salt also cause kidney damage? Tomorrow I will do a 50% water change and give him nothing but clean water for 7 days (with probably at least a 25% water change every day). I will then start back up with the AQ salt for two weeks, and hope to see some improvement.

On the plus side, since he has been moved into his new tank and has been taken care of, the rot does not seem to have gotten any worse. It has not gotten better either, but not worse, so that is good. I will update again in a few days to see how things are going. Thanks again!