Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #1 
BeauEnigma

Silver/ Gray with Red Splatter Pattern (New Member!)

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum, and to the world of Bettas. I though that for my first post it might be best to introduce my beautiful fish! His name is Jasper. I've honestly not seen photos of other Bettas with his coloring before. Was wondering if anyone else has.

He is a happy little guy in his 5.5 Gallon tank. Quite playful, curious, and all around healthy! I have provided a tunnel, floating log, and a nice filtration unit. Since getting him his color has gotten more beautiful, with the red splatter coming slowly, but adding a beautiful pattern to his fins.

Enjoy the photos!

Best Regards,
A
Name:  J1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  76.7 KB
Name:  J2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  74.0 KB
Name:  J3.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  J4.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  67.0 KB
BeauEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)
It sounds like you did a lot of research, that's great! No heater? He's simply gorgeous, I haven't seen his type of color before either.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 
BeauEnigma

I did about a months worth of research before finally purchasing everything. I wanted to make sure I did it correctly and gave the fish a happy existence.

I forgot to mention the heater. I certainly have one. It fits perfectly into the area near the filter pump outflow, to provide good circulation of the heated water. However, Jasper likes a little luxury from time to time and has been known to lay on the pink flower right in front of the outflow for a little while to really feel the warmth. I've reduced the outflow through a homemade clear plastic device that allows a smoother flow, without being an eyesore. He uses it like a treadmill sometimes. He'll swim against the flow, then turn around and swim the other way real fast, letting the very gentle current carry him.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

That's awesome! You didn't make a beginner mistake which is not researching on an animal.
He sounds so adorable! It's like he's basking on the flower. And it's great he has some exercise as well! (;
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #5 
Maddybelle

Welcome to the forum! Your boy kind of reminds me of my delta boy, Quantum Singularity. He's copper with red marbling. He's got more red than your boy.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

he's probably gonna get more and more red in him...they tend to lose the brightest of their colors in the stressful environment of a pet store.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #7 
prosthetik

He looks beautiful! Welcome to the forum & well done on doing research about them! It certainly makes it easier when it comes to actually looking after them :)
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #8 
deso

Jasper is gorgeous! Reminds me somewhat of the colour combination that my boy as seen in my avatar has, black copper and red with the cute little white tips on the ventrals. But Jasper seems to be a true copper, less dark with less red wash, and doesn't have the "wild spots" on his fins. It's not a very common colouration, so you can feel quite lucky to have him! Like Homegrown Terror, I'd expect those red splotches on him to grow and for his general colour to darken a bit as he settles in.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #9 
BeauEnigma

Thanks everyone for the welcomes! I am definitely a happy betta owner. Never knew how much personality these guys can have. The research, subsequent care, really do pay off!

Last edited by BeauEnigma; 11-07-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #10 
BeauEnigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
Welcome to the forum! Your boy kind of reminds me of my delta boy, Quantum Singularity. He's copper with red marbling. He's got more red than your boy.
AH! I've been trying to find a photo of a betta like mine, but never expected to see one so close! What a beautiful boy Quantum Singularity is! AND now I know what you call the color of mine too. I've always wondered. "Copper." Makes sense.

I'm curious, does yours flare a lot? I know there is no chance ours are related, haha, but wondering if personality traits follow some of the exterior genetic traits. Jasper is so adorable because he gets excited when I come sit next to his tank. He follows me all day long while I do work, but he never flares! In fact, to test him, a friend of mine had bought a new betta so, before we put it in a big tank we placed him near Jasper's tank. The other betta flared like crazy, but Jasper just kept watching him and swimming back and forth. Even with a mirror he just stares. He loves playing in his tunnels, even does really cool swimming maneuvers. Follows my finger. All the fun betta stuff, but he is such a peaceful little guy and doesn't seem to flare.