Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #21 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly85 View Post
I am rasing my second baby betta from petco, and since they are soo small at first i use a .5 gal critter keeper with a marimo betta heater and a hand full of plants, i change the water every night, and feed as much as i can 3-4 times a day. I use a mixture of freeze dryed food and Aqueon betta pellets crushed up into size it can eat, and gradually increase the size. I also feed frozen brine shrimp once right before water change.
I make sure to monitor the water temp, and I move the baby up in tank size as it grows.
I also have soem pond snail in with it, since i keep the tank pretty green, as in algae. I cup the baby with the cup it came in and float it every water change, I also only rinse the tank with the old water, then add fresh.
I posted a pic on my set up on another thread but here it is again so you can see.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...magejpeg_7.jpg
I had mine in a .5 and just upgraded. Agreed with the multiple feeding also with the smaller tanks a turkey baster works well to help clean the tanks.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #22 
brookm

I honestly dont have money for another tank so there a reason behind the smaller tank?? I have been feeding 3-4 times a day either a small bit of frozen or crushed OO pellets...
How often should I change the tank water?
I have a kritter keeper thats .5 gallons but has no lid could I use that if i make a clear lid on it or is the 5 gallon fine?
brookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #23 
Firefly85

You can keep it in the 5 gallon, and do less water changes, i personally would only fill it half way and change some water everyday and do full water changes 2-3 times a week. but others may have better suggestions.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #24 
brookm

Okay so I will do a fill water change today and only do 2.5 gallons in it why do daily changes if i change the water every 2 days??
Also when would I want to start filling the tank up more??
Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #25 
Firefly85

because you want to remove any poo or uneaten food, so it doesn't foul the water quickly. the less water you have to work with the more chance that there will be spikes in ammonia, the better your water quality the faster the baby will grow, better, healthier your baby will be. and if you want it to grow well/fast then you want to change more often since they produce a growth inhibiting hormone that slows growth down.
I also heard these babies can get sick rather quickly.

I just seem to know when the baby needs more water/ space. i say around the time they really start to color up or about .75 - 1.25 in total maybe.

I am by far not an expert on betta and betta fry, so hopefully someone else can chime in here.

different ways work for different people/fish.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #26 
Wendyjo

I see no reason to not fill the 5g all the way up - the more water volume the better.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #27 
brookm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
I see no reason to not fill the 5g all the way up - the more water volume the better.
The only reason I can say it it has been much easier to change the water for him at 2.5 every 2 days but i have also been using the turkey baster to do small daily water changes so that has helped as well
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #28 
Wendyjo

But if you have twice the water volume you don't need to change it as often as the ammonia and hormones are not as concentrated.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #29 
brookm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
But if you have twice the water volume you don't need to change it as often as the ammonia and hormones are not as concentrated.
Very true I think on my next water change I will fill it all the way up anywho :)
Everything seems to be going well she is very active and eating very very well
she has gained a bit of color but from what I can tell still has some stress stripes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #30 
Wendyjo

Mine still has stress stripes too - I think it's normal on the babies.