Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #7591 
moonsand0wls

(Kaida is up on the right; sorry for the heavy pic)

Kaida's home at the moment. Seems plain but it keeps him amused because of the groves and around tight spaces etc he loves doing so. I got him new plants too yay. the sticker on my filter makes him flare a lot because he can see himself in it hehe.
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #7592 
tromboneplaya

my divided 10

This is my divided 10gal....it currently has anubias, wisteria, and amazon sword in it. Right now it's a work in progress, so I'll definitely post another pic when it's to the point that I want it. Freddie is the blue guy on the left and Freckles is the yellow guy on the right! They seem very happy in their tank! The way I divided helps a lot in making sure the don't see each other and flare too much...the heater and filter are also hidden that way.
Attached Images

tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #7593 
mstenorsaxplayer

Lil Sano's new tank! :D

Name:  lil sano new tank 4.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  lil sano new tank 2.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  34.6 KB
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #7594 
Flutteri

Oliver's 3.5 Gallon Bowl

Plants: Java Ferns, Dwarf Hygrophilas, Giant Marimo and Curly "Lucky Bamboo"
Filter: Boyu SP-100A
Lighting: Desklamp with Samsung 15W, 6400K compact fluorescent lamp
No heater 'cause temperature between 25-27C year-round
Gravel & Decor: River gravel, few bigger river rocks and self made coconut cave
The lid is self made, clear plastic lid with two holes in it.

Last edited by Flutteri; 11-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Flutteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #7595 
FlyingFish47

My temporary 2G tank for rescue Betta, Lapis: Temp Betta Tank - 2 gallon Freshwater fish tank

My 8G community tank: Mini - 8 gallon Freshwater fish tank Perry the Betta and 4 congo tetra
Sorry couldn't get pics to post direct tonight
FlyingFish47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #7596 
stellar981

Hi everyone. I am new here... I currently do NOT have any fish but have been doing research and think I am going to get a betta. They are beautiful, and with my lack of experience I figured I could get some info here. I have spent a few hours looking at a variety of posts. I have noticed a wide variety of tank set ups, and have a few questions..

I think the live plants look AWESOME! But are they difficult to maintain? Do they require extra care, as I read somewhere you need to provide food/fertilizer to them. I don't want to harm my betta by trying that out too soon. But I also found that fake plants all seem particularly sharp and dangerous. So I'm a little stuck here..

Also.. i see some tanks have gravel and some have sand.. Is there a benefit to one or the other, is one harder to keep clean?

Where does everyone buy most of their supplies/decorations? I was in PetSmart and they had some great looking betta fish.. but I wasn't very fond of their decor.

Thanks SO much ahead of time for any assistance you can provide!!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #7597 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
Hi everyone. I am new here... I currently do NOT have any fish but have been doing research and think I am going to get a betta. They are beautiful, and with my lack of experience I figured I could get some info here. I have spent a few hours looking at a variety of posts. I have noticed a wide variety of tank set ups, and have a few questions..

I think the live plants look AWESOME! But are they difficult to maintain? Do they require extra care, as I read somewhere you need to provide food/fertilizer to them. I don't want to harm my betta by trying that out too soon. But I also found that fake plants all seem particularly sharp and dangerous. So I'm a little stuck here..

Also.. i see some tanks have gravel and some have sand.. Is there a benefit to one or the other, is one harder to keep clean?

Where does everyone buy most of their supplies/decorations? I was in PetSmart and they had some great looking betta fish.. but I wasn't very fond of their decor.

Thanks SO much ahead of time for any assistance you can provide!!
You should start your own thread in the care section so more people will see this :)

I'm a huge fan of live plants and those are all I use, They aren't difficult to maintain if you get low light plants and there are plenty to choose from! They help keep the water clean and oxygenated. Anubias, anacharis, water sprite to name a few. I do use fert tabs (seachem tabs to be specific) I also use liquid ferts, but for plants such as anubias they are not needed.
I can't say anything about sand because I only use gravel, I don't think there's much of a difference.. other than you need to keep gas pockets form forming in sand. I don't use decor per say, I rely on plants and natural driftwood to for decor, and I find mine online and at petco/petsmart.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #7598 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkham View Post
You should start your own thread in the care section so more people will see this :)

I'm a huge fan of live plants and those are all I use, They aren't difficult to maintain if you get low light plants and there are plenty to choose from! They help keep the water clean and oxygenated. Anubias, anacharis, water sprite to name a few. I do use fert tabs (seachem tabs to be specific) I also use liquid ferts, but for plants such as anubias they are not needed.
I can't say anything about sand because I only use gravel, I don't think there's much of a difference.. other than you need to keep gas pockets form forming in sand. I don't use decor per say, I rely on plants and natural driftwood to for decor, and I find mine online and at petco/petsmart.
Thank you, I appreciate the info! I think I will go live. At least start out with one of two. What types of ferts do you use (brands?) I am getting pretty excited about this. I am planning to do a 10 gal tank. When you have live plants do you recommend extra cycling time before adding a fish? How often do you test your water? I'm am going to be clueless for while!! :)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #7599 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
Thank you, I appreciate the info! I think I will go live. At least start out with one of two. What types of ferts do you use (brands?) I am getting pretty excited about this. I am planning to do a 10 gal tank. When you have live plants do you recommend extra cycling time before adding a fish? How often do you test your water? I'm am going to be clueless for while!! :)

You should definitely have a cycled tank before adding a fish, here's a helpful link: http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

I test at least once a week, and I use this test kit: http://www.petguys.com/-317163010340...mpaign=PetGuys

I use anubias, java fern, primerose and a few others that need extra lighting.
For ferts I use: http://www.petco.com/product/115132/...upplement.aspx
I use these tabs: http://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_L...FWPCTB-vi.html

I do recommend starting a separate thread in the planted tank section because there are plenty more people with more experience than I.

Here are what my tanks look like for some ideas, both are 5 gallon and house 1 male betta each:
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #7600 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkham View Post
You should definitely have a cycled tank before adding a fish, here's a helpful link: http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

I test at least once a week, and I use this test kit: http://www.petguys.com/-317163010340...mpaign=PetGuys

I use anubias, java fern, primerose and a few others that need extra lighting.
For ferts I use: http://www.petco.com/product/115132/...upplement.aspx
I use these tabs: http://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_L...FWPCTB-vi.html

I do recommend starting a separate thread in the planted tank section because there are plenty more people with more experience than I.

Here are what my tanks look like for some ideas, both are 5 gallon and house 1 male betta each:
Your tanks look great!! Thanks for all the info! I will start a list and make sure I get everything I need before putting a fish in there!

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank