Emerency! need help.

Housing
What size is your tank?
- 8x6x6

What temperature is your tank?
- unknown, warm if felt w/ finger.

Does your tank have a filter?
- no

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
- no

Is your tank heated?
- no

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
-none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
- tubifex, worms from microworm culture(fruit fly worm)

How often do you feed your betta fish?
- daily, but skips a day if fed too much

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
- daily

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
- 90%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
-IAL

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
- no, left it a day or two so that no chlorine.

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
- pale from cambodian salamander to really pale.. red spots on tips of fin, thorn fin. grey scales.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
-sudden spurting, jumping, bumping the walls

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
-the day he jump out of his tank.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
-yes, IAL and daily water change

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
-no, i bought him from my local breedeer.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
- 5 months
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So sorry your fish is sick, I really dont know what to say that would help but sounds like maybe he got and infection when he jumped out of the tank, how long was he out of his tank ? Since he has torn fins he could have fin rot and it would help to add some AQ salt to his water. Keep up doing the water changes and adding the IAL and I hope he feels better soon. I am sure someone will come along soon that can help you more so hang in there !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Mine had a lot of trouble for a few days after she jumped out of the tank. Her fins were torn and she had some spots that looked like sores. She never changed color, but it was obvious that she was stressed.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #4 
GreyHounD

How did you manage with her?
Did she survive? for me females are hardier than males.

for now IAL is my only med w/ meth blue time to time..
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #5 
sainthogan

She did survive, that was almost 6 weeks ago, and looking at her now, you'd hardly ever know she'd ever jumped out. She was out of her tank for at least a half an hour before I found her. She still has a little fin damage, but it's healing nicely.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much I could do because I had to leave town the very next morning after her jump. I had my mom come over and feed her, but I told her to keep the lights dim, and not turn the tank light on at all. Fishy had been recovering from velvet, so there was a little quick cure medication left in her tank, but I didn't have my mom add anymore. After a few days, my mom said that Fishy started swimming around normally, and seemed to be healing well. When I got back, there was a thick amount of white slime coat floating in the water. My mom told me, that Fishy had been coated in it, and it sloughed off as her behavior improved.

So for you, I would suggest, keep the lights dim, keep up with frequent water changes, and add stress coat or if you don't have any, extra water conditioner if it contains ingredients to promote a healthy slime coat. Don't be surprised if you see a thick slime coat on him, and don't be surprised if you suddenly see whitish stuff floating in the tank. Both are normal given the circumstances. An extra thick slime coat will help him heal faster, and it will come off a lot more often and float around in the tank. Keep an eye on him to check for infections healing, you may need to get an antibiotic if you don't see an improvement soon. You can get tetracycline and others at Wal-mart and pet stores. I'm not sure about adding aquarium salt or not, but it might help if you don't see an improvement. (I've never used it, so I'm not sure about dosing, etc.)
Oh an IAL is great to use as well. I'm not sure about the meth blue though, as I think it is for velvet and maybe ick (I use quick cure, so I'm not familiar with your medication), and might not help much for the open wounds caused by the jump.
Good Luck.

Last edited by sainthogan; 11-05-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 
sainthogan

Ok, so I just saw that you live in the Philippines, so I don't know what kinds of medications you can get there. But you may want to look around at what's available out there in case you need an antibiotic.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 
MoonShadow

It would be a good idea to get a thermometer and see what the water temperature is. If its too low it could be stressing him out on top of the stress from jumping out of the tank. Do you have stresscoat by you, if you do I would recommend using it, when he jumped I'm sure he did a great deal of damage to his slime coat and the stresscoat will help repair his slime coat. Treating with a bit of aquarium salt won't hurt either
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote