Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

Finally all set up! NPT #1

This is my 5.5 gallon NPT. I did not like the sand at all. It was hard to work with! I put as many plants as I could to get (70%). It was super expensive to buy the plants. I spent over $150. Next time I will shop around and see who has better prices. I have a filter in there for now baffled with a panty hose. Even with a sponge around the intake and on a low setting the flow was still too hard for my female betta. She loves it! After I acclimated her and put her in I noticed a little blue coming out of her. I thought she was only red! She loves it! Though she keeps trying to eat everything! Here it is. If you see anything wrong or anything I should fix please let me know! but do know that this is my first NPT.

sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #2 
Friendlyfishies

I dont see the pic :(
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #3 
sandrac8388

shucks, Lets try it again.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #4 
twolovers101

very nice :D
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #5 
kfryman

Uh, some of your plants shouldn't be buried in the sand, like th java fern wendilov (sp?) It will just die.

Test your water daily, you don't have very many stem plants and your plants will probably start melting (the crypts) and they won't do a thing for your ammonia. Be very cautious, ammonia starts to leach fast and your girl may not survive the heavy amount. I usually recommend waiting at least a week unless you gather soil from your backyard and already have plants (That is usually why OFL plants that day) store bought organic dirt will usually leach ammonia for about a month or so.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #6 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Uh, some of your plants shouldn't be buried in the sand, like th java fern wendilov (sp?) It will just die.

Test your water daily, you don't have very many stem plants and your plants will probably start melting (the crypts) and they won't do a thing for your ammonia. Be very cautious, ammonia starts to leach fast and your girl may not survive the heavy amount. I usually recommend waiting at least a week unless you gather soil from your backyard and already have plants (That is usually why OFL plants that day) store bought organic dirt will usually leach ammonia for about a month or so.

Should i let the java fern float? or what should I do with it? and what others?

I'm testing the water daily, and planning a water change for tomorrow.

Should i take my fish out? And let it sit for a month or so? I live in an apartment complex so I have no yard to use which is why i used organic soil since thats what I read on OFL sticky.

I haven't put any shrimp or snails in. Should i do that now too or wait?

How should I correct everything that is wrong?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

oO did you buy a whole lot of anubias?... those you cant bury either ufortunately :(

they are also not stem plants and dont grow very fast. yyou can tie those to a rock or drift wood :). I do recommend at this stage to let it sit for a month, wholst all the other plants establish a goood root system. then you can put the fishie back in :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 
sandrac8388

Well, its offical, I suck at this. I'm gonna tear down the tank. I can't buy any more plants I spent well over 300 buying all the stuff yesterday. I got too many anubias because they're so pretty and now I can't even plant them :( This is frustrating. I do have wisteria in the back. I have no clue anymore on how to go about this. :( i feel like crying cause I spent a lot of time on this.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrac8388 View Post
Well, its offical, I suck at this. I'm gonna tear down the tank. I can't buy any more plants I spent well over 300 buying all the stuff yesterday. I got too many anubias because they're so pretty and now I can't even plant them :( This is frustrating. I do have wisteria in the back. I have no clue anymore on how to go about this. :( i feel like crying cause I spent a lot of time on this.

calm down and dont tear anything down. take the anubias out and tie them to something, like the rock/ driftwoord you have. do the same with tthe java fern.

You really dont need to buy anymore. the wisteria will grow pretty quickly an you can trum and replant really soon.

the crypts are similar in shape to anubias. so you can certainly move those to where you intended for the anubias to be.

dont give up! LOL

let me show you my current NPT. how it started and how it enda up. some people cant do it in one go. I made many adjustments over many months and finally had it in a way I kind of liked. :)

Top left: Day 1
Top right: Day 5
Bottom left: 2 months
Bottom right: 6 months

if you are wonderin about the 70% plant cover rule in mine, only the left side has soil. that side was 70% planted

Last edited by ao; 11-05-2012 at 11:58 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #10 
ravenwinds

I agree...take a deep breath....don't tear it down...sometimes you have to work with what you got! Take her out, let wisteria have a chance to grow, and if you come into $5, go and buy a bunch of stem plants...usually can get 1 or 2 bunches for 5$. Tie your java fern and anubias to your hardscape (drift wood and rocks). Keep lights on 10hrs/day so the plants will grow, and wait until everything works.
If you have sand, yes put in snails...especially Malaysian trumpet snails....this will help to ensure your soil and sand don't form any toxic pockets while waiting for plants to root there!
Everything will work out...just might take longer than planned :)
Oh, and on your crypts: make sure the stems are buried...less melting :)
Just plant their roots and smallest amount of green part possible!
And yes, you can float anubias and crypts and java fern...at least temporarily.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote