Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2008, 01:45 AM   #1 
Rikki Chan

How many Female Betta to a tank?

HI!!! :D

I'm new to the group. This is my first time owning Betta but I did my homework before I got to deep into it. I have two Betta currently. My male Aki is in what I believe to be a 2 gallon tank. It came with a filter and I found a small heater on clerance for 4 buck. My female Kazumi is in a 25 gallon tank with a alge eater (Noel) and three frogs (Curlie, Shemp, and Houdini). That also has a full set up...however I broke the heater a few hours ago and need to go replace it tomorrow... I do have a back up that will work till morning. I will also post pictures tomorrow once I get my sister's camera.

Here is my question. How many female can I put in the 25 gallon tank? I have read that now I have one in there I shouldn't add others. I need to get some live plants and more cover before I even think of getting any more females so what plants would be good? How much cover should I have?

At some point I want to breed Aki but that is a long way off. I just want things set up well in both tanks before I go and get a breeder tank to set up.
Rikki Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #2 
Pasfur

People have different results. I have met many hobbyists who have kept multiple female betta's. I have never had success in doing so, unless in a much larger aquarium.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #3 
Rikki Chan

So 25 gallons is to small for two? Maybe I will make the 25 gallon tank my breeder tank then get Kazumi another smaller tank.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #4 
GeegaFish

Every Betta is different Rikki. You may just have to try it to see how it works. Be prepared to move someone, though, if you notice agression. I had three in a 40 gallon that seemed to get along pretty well (all females). Good luck.
GeegaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #5 
Cody

Also, if you do get multiple females, make sure you have a lot of plants and hiding spots to break the line of sight, and for the females to hide if an Alpha-Female gets aggresive, as Females usually form heirarchys.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #6 
Rikki Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeegaFish
Every Betta is different Rikki. You may just have to try it to see how it works. Be prepared to move someone, though, if you notice agression. I had three in a 40 gallon that seemed to get along pretty well (all females). Good luck.
Kazumi seems fairly laid back. The frog don't bug her at all in fact Houdini get all in her space and she just ignores him. I might try a second female since I had plans on getting a Half Moon betta male at some point.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #7 
Rikki Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody
Also, if you do get multiple females, make sure you have a lot of plants and hiding spots to break the line of sight, and for the females to hide if an Alpha-Female gets aggresive, as Females usually form heirarchys.
Any plant suggestions? I have LOTS of decoration in the tank but no live plants. I have a sunken ship, drift wood, and a few other things. I have some silk plants in there but from what I am reading real might be better.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #8 
It'sJames

When keeping multiple bettas, never keep only two. At least 4 females should be kept together to even out aggression among them. Even with a good number of females, live plants, and plenty of other hiding places, you should still be prepared to remove or return any unfriendly females. Not all female bettas will get along in a group - it really depends on the personalities. If the algea eater and frogs (I'm assuming they're dwarf frogs?) are the only other things in the 25 gallon tank, and you plan to add nothing else but bettas, I think you could put 6-8 in there. Bettas have a very light bioload.

As for plants, it will really depend on your lighting. What do you have right now?
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #9 
Rikki Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sJames
When keeping multiple bettas, never keep only two. At least 4 females should be kept together to even out aggression among them. Even with a good number of females, live plants, and plenty of other hiding places, you should still be prepared to remove or return any unfriendly females. Not all female bettas will get along in a group - it really depends on the personalities. If the algea eater and frogs (I'm assuming they're dwarf frogs?) are the only other things in the 25 gallon tank, and you plan to add nothing else but bettas, I think you could put 6-8 in there. Bettas have a very light bioload.

As for plants, it will really depend on your lighting. What do you have right now?
You are corrdct Sir!!!! They are dwarf frogs. Not my personal chose but the roommate wanted them now she could care less about the tank. *LOL* I Like them so I'm going to keep them. Plus I doubt the pet store would take them back.

So 6 to 8 you say well thats a good number. Yes the tank is betta only as far as fish go. Right now I have a 15 watt Sun-Glow light. It was ten dollars at pet smart so it's just a basic light.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #10 
It'sJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Chan
You are corrdct Sir!!!! They are dwarf frogs.
That's ma'am to you!! For as long as I can remember, I've most certainly been a girl.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote