Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #11 
ToeBiter

Once again, thanks.
ToeBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #12 
sareena79

WELCOME!...awesome crayfish! very unique :) I only have one betta for now (he's a CT) but i have 3 cats, a dog and a turtle. curious though, why did u say u were nuts
for having mostly CT's (or did I read that wrong?)
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #13 
ToeBiter

nope... you read it right. A lot of betta people that I'm friends with think I'm nuts for my love of CT's and my want to start a line/show them... I think a lot of peoples thing with them is that their fins are very sensitive to water hardness. If you don't keep it soft enough, their fins curl and its 'nigh impossible to uncurl them. Therefore you have to monitor that even as fry. In competition, points are taken off for curling (or so I have been informed- I'm not positive though). Most people do something like a HM or FM. I also hear that VT's are becoming more popular in that sense too now that there are some new standards (me and Creat have been looking into it).

Right now I have 6 betta as my beta population sort of took a hit when I a couple months ago. I have a blue VT that I rescued and we call him the Mormon Dilldoe. I know it sounds offensive, but there is a story to it that I will tell in a minute. I also have 2 male CT's; An almost all white marble named Dave and a red named Satin (so that when I breed him I can say I have the spawn of Satin :D). Both of them have awsome fins and I'm really excited to see Daves offspring (just got him recently). I couldn't help myself and bought 3 more today as well. The first is an all white, male king plakat that I named Ginger. The second is a blue (?) double tail male that is just getting over a REALLY bad case of fin rot(PetCo was selling him as a VT since it was hard to really determine what he was). He is just starting to grow his fins back and I don't know what his conformation was like (will not breed him), but I just pitied him. His name is Fido. And last but not least, I bought another really cute cambodian CT female whom I dubbed Mew-Mew to replace my recently deceased female named Kitty. I still need to get more females. There are a ton in my house due to Creat (my roommate), but only my one CT.

Now for the story on the Mormon Dilldoe's name. So when I was looking for a house this summer, me and one of my current roomies went to check a house out. The landlord lady warned us that the place hadn't been cleaned yet... that was an understatement. An explosion would have looked better. The previous tenants had trashed the place. There was animal excrement and trash everywhere (we didn't move there btw). Just as you walked in the door though, there was a case of alcohol with a couple books of Mormon on top. In another room, there was a broken bed frame and then littered around the room were used condoms, bottles of lube, and a dilldoe. We were more than a little weirded out and so were going to end the tour and leave when I saw this cup out of the corner of my eye. I'm not sure why, but I went over there. In about an inch of almost violent green water I noticed a betta... miraculously still alive. So I took him home with me and added him to my betta's (at the time, about 20 of them) and he has been with me for the last 6 months or so. That's is why he has his name... so please, anyone reading this post, don't get offended over his name.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #14 
ToeBiter

wow... long post. I'm pretty sick right now and on meds so I'm pretty sure I rambled a bit in the previous post. Sorry to anyone reading that "book" I just wrote.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #15 
Viva

Hahahahahahahaha the story about the name is priceless. Poor Mormon Dilldoe :(
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #16 
ToeBiter

The Mormon Dilldoe is now a happy, healthy member of the family and always blows cute little bubble nests. He's not the biggest betta, but we are convinced he will live through just about anything seeing he was one of only 3 who made it through a house move gone bad that unexpectedly left us in between houses for a bit.

There are stories behind all of my fish names though. Maybe I should start a thread introducing all be fish (beta or otherwise) and why they have their names. I have a couple more have good names like that (i.e. one of my Cichlids is Thunder Cunt).

Last edited by ToeBiter; 10-22-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #17 
sareena79

yikes, I hope they have nicknames for when the grandparents come over lol
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #18 
ThePearlFish

I am a little late chiming in here, but welcome to BettaFish! I too hope to major in a similar subject (Environmental and Conservation Biology).
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #19 
ToeBiter

we dont really have a prob w/ the family visiting due to their health issues and the fact i live so far away. I dont think they even know what my house looks like.

and to thepearlfish... i actually started as the same major as you and ended up changing to what I have now.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #20 
Juicebox

welcome,have fun on the forum
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote