Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #521 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris38 View Post
I was also wondering how many females I could have.Thanks!
I'd say you could fit around 15 girls in there with no other fish, other than the guppies, and it has a good quality filter, and you keep up w/ water changes.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #522 
paris38

Thank you MaisyDawgThirteen.I already have one female and she's in the 38 gallon divided with the guppies.Yesterday though,she got through and started chasing and biting the guppies.I took her strate out after but,now I'm thinking maybe she's not fit to live with other fish.Should I still do the the sorority with her in it or not risk it.

Last edited by paris38; 10-15-2012 at 09:09 AM.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #523 
Showbiz

I'm planning on setting up a sorority in a 20gal (tall, I would have preferred a long but it's an old tank of ours from about 10 years ago so I didn't have much say in the matter), planted. I also have a few decorations/small terra cotta pots for shelter while the plants are growing in. I already have 5 neon tetras and one female betta in there, and it just cycled. How many girls total do you think I could fit?
Showbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #524 
pyro fiend

well im not sure on tht1. i do know i mentioned in the planted tank section i wanted to put corys and fems in it. was told lke 6 of ea would be great. so ima take a stab and say at least 10 or 12. but i think you should wait for plants first :)
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #525 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showbiz View Post
I'm planning on setting up a sorority in a 20gal (tall, I would have preferred a long but it's an old tank of ours from about 10 years ago so I didn't have much say in the matter), planted. I also have a few decorations/small terra cotta pots for shelter while the plants are growing in. I already have 5 neon tetras and one female betta in there, and it just cycled. How many girls total do you think I could fit?
A 20 tall will hold different than a 20 long tank.. you are looking at surface size when it comes to bettas. Since the tank is tall you would be fine with about 6-8 girls, along with your other fish in there. As the surface area is smaller, you don't want to jam it with the bettas, especially since you don't have the plants grown in. Make sure the plants reach the top of the tank, as top and mid level coverage is the most important when it comes to sororities.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #526 
cheynan

Do you think their color matters? I don't want one to get ganged up on.
cheynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #527 
Showbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
well im not sure on tht1. i do know i mentioned in the planted tank section i wanted to put corys and fems in it. was told lke 6 of ea would be great. so ima take a stab and say at least 10 or 12. but i think you should wait for plants first :)
I'm too impatient to wait for my plants! xD I'll be buying more plants in a few days though, so when it does grow in it should be pretty full. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
A 20 tall will hold different than a 20 long tank.. you are looking at surface size when it comes to bettas. Since the tank is tall you would be fine with about 6-8 girls, along with your other fish in there. As the surface area is smaller, you don't want to jam it with the bettas, especially since you don't have the plants grown in. Make sure the plants reach the top of the tank, as top and mid level coverage is the most important when it comes to sororities.
That's what I thought, and why I wanted to ask. . . sounds good! I have some anacharis floating at the top, which the one girl I have in there right now absolutely loves!
Showbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #528 
polukoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheynan View Post
Do you think their color matters? I don't want one to get ganged up on.
No, I mix Plakats with halfmoons even. It all depends on the individual fish, some are more aggressive than others.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #529 
Viva

So glad this is a sticky, gonna be needing it when I finally move to a new apartment and get my 30 or 40 gallon, heavily planted tank...I plan on putting my four green Cory's in with about 12 females, adding 3 at a time. I have it all planned out...I can't wait! Won't be for about another year though :(
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #530 
bryanacute

Current time I have to females from same spawn( I think ). Planning to eat 4 more.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote