Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 
eemmais

Question Dividing betta tanks?? God or bad?

So right now I have one make betta in a ten gallon tank. The thing is, when I got him I didn't know that I would soon fall in love with bettas!! so my question is, what do of guys think of divided tanks? Some people say there great, some say there not worth the risk, some say they are not filtered evenly. So what are you experiences with divided tanks?? Thank you!
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

They are usually not filtered evenly but in my opinion, they really pose no risk if you set them up right. My 10 gallon divider is a little see through as it is a top fin divider from Petsmart. But after a while, my bettas stop falring at each other. I just place some tall silk plants so their view is, for the most part, blocked. I like the idea of a divided tank because it goes pretty well with my parents becasue it saves energy in the sense that you can keep 2 bettas in one tank. As long as you keep the tank clean, the filtering shouldn't be too much of a problem except for the betta in the filtered side since he can't really make a bubblenest. I just float 2 halves of a stryofoam cup so the betta on that side can blow a small nest. Every week I switch sides so it's sort of even.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #3 
aemaki09

You are right about what you have heard about filtering, but you dont really need it as long as you do weekly changes.

I have 3 in a 10 gallon right now, males on the outsides, and a female on the inside, and dont have any problems other than sometimes after water changes the dividers get loose and so the female sneaks through to one of the male's sides or a male sneaks through to hers if i dont check.... but as long as you make sure the dividers arent open in any spots I dont see any problems with it.
and leo is right - they do stop flaring after a while, they do it for a minute or so here and there throughout the day, but once they are used to each other its no longer going to be a 24/7 ordeal

Best of luck!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #4 
tromboneplaya

I have a 10 gallon divided tank. I attached a pic so that you could see what I did to fix the filter/heater problem. I made a triangle shape with two dividers so that the heater and filter are in the middle so that way both sides are heated and filtered evenly. I have never had any issues with divided tanks and I love mine! Oh, and the double divider really makes it so that they can't even see each other....no unnecessary flaring! :)
Attached Images

tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 
jsgossamer

I have divided tanks and they are not bad. People who say they are have never had them or had them not set up correctly. You have to make sure the dividers fit correctly, are high enough so the fish cant jump over them and don't move at all. My fish also ignore each other except at feeding time when they may flare at each other once or twice. I have filters in mine, but still do weekly water changes.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #6 
Laki

What a great idea for the filter and heater!! With a ten gallon it would be cool to make a slim middle section for the filter, heater and some shrimp or a moss ball or something and the 2 bettas on the sides.
I have a 5g and the canopy is designed so I can only keep the filter on the side. My tank manages though, one side gets the plant light moreso and thus has more algae.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #7 
Myates

I divide.. never an issue. Keep any new bettas in their own tanks for a couple of weeks prior to adding them to make sure they are healthy and not going to bring anything with them to your other ones.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 
bryanacute

Good! You could have a divided tank with tropical fish on one side and a beta on the other
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #9 
registereduser

I love the 10 gallon above but I decided to go a different way with my 15 gallon. I went to a glass shop and got the correct sized piece of glass to use as a divider. I spread aquarium silicone all over the glass and "textured" it with my finger so it looks frosted and not see-through. Then I glued it in with silicone, which was a messy job and it is not exact, but it worked!

I have a filter on each side and the heater is on the divider glass and keeps both sides warm. There is no danger of one getting over to the other side. The only danger is my CAT

registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #10 
Laki

What an awesome tank!! And I see your dragon scale mustard gas... You cannot hide that gorgeous thing under a cat xD
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, divided, fish, tank and tank care