Betta Fish Forum banner

spong(blocking water flow on filter) WARNING -.-

584 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Myates 
#1 ·
So I used a spong to block water flow.on the filter and I didn't notice till now but it started to disintegrated..... So I'm about to do a water change and I got it out anything else I should do?

#2 ·
a simple water change should do it. Btw, use a piece of a water bottle as a baffle: cut the water bottle down to the width of your filter (so it look like a tube) and then cut that it half the other way. But don't use tape to stick it to your filter!! It could possibly harm your fish. Anyways, I use that on mine and there is absolutely no current!

#3 ·
Be careful if you use a bottle though, the edges can be sharp! I use a sponge that is meant to go in the filter anyways, I just use one for a bigger size filter than I have. I put a zip-tie through it and it just sits in front of the flow. Bonus, since you are using a sponge that is meant to support beneficial bacteria you are giving them more space to do their thing!

#4 ·
Could I get one at petsmart or Walmart? I like that better than the water bottle idea. The water bottle sounds cool but unsafe. Ever since I set it up the water seeks cloudy though I've done like 3 or 4 water changes.

#5 ·
Definitely Petsmart, probably Walmart. I get the sponges for the Hagen Aquaclear filters. The bottle does work for a lot of people, and the benefit is that it is less noticeable. Though I also find the sponge very easy to attach and take off for easy maintenance.

#7 ·
I think I know what your talking about. And I realized my water seems so cloudy because of the light >.>

I really need to get a better one. Walmart only has the 18 " and everything but what I need which is 16" but I don't want to spend a lot unless completely necessary. Would Lowe's have it?

#9 ·
The sponge that you used first, was it an aquarium sponge? Those tend to last a long time.. the cleaning/dishes sponges aren't... make sure it's for aquarium use only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.