Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 
emeraldmaster

Unhappy Neons from Walmart

Yes, I got them from Walmart. Bite me! I got two neon tetras from there, because one looked sick and I wanted to help. I got the other because it kept swimming to the edge of the tank to look at me and it was too cute. I also got four rosey red minnows to complete my school of five for my tank. What I need to know is: how long to keep the neons QT AND how long to keep the roseys QT. They are seperated and in fresher water. The nice tetra is showing no signs that sugest anything is wrong, except being hungery right now. Unfortuanitly the other one seems to be ready to give up on life and die, so I have the two tetras seperated also. I moved my betta, Red, to the living room tank. Just in case. Can you please help?
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

it could be Neon Tetra disease. I used to have 3 neons when i was a beginner, i didnt know they needed acidic water, and they got NTD and bloated and popped. It was horrible. My remaining ones came with ick, and wiped out my tank.(i was a beginner).

Can you describe the symptoms? Sorry to be all negative lol, i am a pessimist sometimes..
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #3 
emeraldmaster

so am i, the pessimist part that is... as an update, about ten minutes after i started this thread, the sick one turned belly side up and died. the okay one(its cup was next to the sick one so as to still have a little company despite seperation) seems to be beside itself. it is swimming in circles around the tank only to stop at the point where it used to see its friend. it will stay there for a few seconds staring at the other cup, then swim again. it seems to be fine other than that. i put an oak leaf in its cup anyway, just to provide it a little more comfort. it is a good thing that i am sick todday, cold season, because i get to study the new ones. and as for the roseies, they are just fine, now signs at all, just wanting a biger space and more food. greedy pigs.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #4 
registereduser

I bought a school of 8 neons from Petco. First one died and then they all died one after the other for eight days straight.

I would QT for a month.....seriously. The neons also caused my betta to get VERY sick. He recovered in a hospital tank but never again!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #5 
emeraldmaster

thank you, i have the betta in the living room tank with our pleco right now. i'm scared that the pleco might eat the betta, it eats guppies WHOLE! the same tank is our guppy farm with about 70+ guppies, but Red is used to them. My bedroom tank has 30+ of their kids. I am just worried about the betta vs pleco. how about the rosey red minnows, how long on them? they shared the same water for about 15 mins, now they have different water.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

A good rule of thumb is to quarantine any new fish for at least 2 weeks, but a month is prefered if you value your other stock and you bought from Walmart.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 
emeraldmaster

Update, both neons died as of last night. one of neon tetra disease, the other from something that can only be discribed as fin rot. the fins turned puffy and white, then melted away.

Tags
betta, neon tetras, rosey red minnows, sick