Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #21 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2ma View Post
I'm new to this. So I thought because they sell it to have 2 bettas that it would be ok....
I'll start cleaning it more often now. LEarned my lesson... but for now I can't afford another tank for the other betta or a bigger tank. SO will have to deal with this for a little while and change the water regularly.

Any suggestions on changing water?

I guess I will get 2- 1 gal bowls and start treating them with the Aquarium Salt.

The only thing that I put in the water is the Aqueon Betta Plus.

I feed them Aqueon Betta Pellets.

Which second one? the red one?

Thanks for the help
Pretty much all of us have been where you're at & have had fish suffer because of our lack of knowledge. You're getting lots of good advice from everyone & I hope you're able to take it.

A cycled tank means that your filter (tank) has the proper build up of beneficial bacteria (BB) and is able to process ammonia & nitrites out of the water. When a tank is new there is not this BB which means toxins (ammonia and/or nitrites) build up in the water making the fish ill or causing death.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #22 
pr2ma

What do you guys think about Bettafix??

The “Knowledgeable” people at Petco told me that would help… (please note the sarcasm on my sentence...) but I’m not sure about there real knowledge….
I’ve read some very good reviews about it and how it helped the fish right away… but also read some threads here that say its bad for the Betta.

So does it work or not?
pr2ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #23 
pr2ma

Can someone recommend an inexpensive but good vacuum?
pr2ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #24 
blueridge

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

^ I have this one and it works great! Good luck with your bettas!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #25 
ravenwinds

Bettafix has been known to kill bettas...so most of us don't use it, although some say it does wonders.

Like Old Fish Lady said: there are a lot of ways to keep these very rewarding fish ...don't give up...and FYI: your doing a lot better than some with your 2.5g filtered tank.
Check out the thread on this site dedicated to 1-2 gallon tanks!
If you buy a bunch of live stem plants or a couple of silk plants from craft store (no glue or glitter, etc) and plant them along divider...this will decrease stress between the 2 inhabitants once your sick fish is better and can return to tank.
Their current tank will be fine for some time if you make it so each fish can get out of line of sight of the other.
Listen to OldFishLady...she has awesome advice from a lot of experience.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #26 
LadyVictorian

Betta are very therapeutic. My boy and girl mean the world to me and have been nothing but a joy since i get them. My rescue has been a bit more stressful because he was so ill but watching him turn from not moving nor eating to an active little snot it's so rewarding. What will be all the more rewarding will be finding him his forever home.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #27 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Betta are very therapeutic. My boy and girl mean the world to me and have been nothing but a joy since i get them. My rescue has been a bit more stressful because he was so ill but watching him turn from not moving nor eating to an active little snot it's so rewarding. What will be all the more rewarding will be finding him his forever home.

really they are recommended for therapy? D: woah
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #28 
Wendyjo

Petco has a 14 day return period on fish. You could return the new one and focus on getting the other guy well and he could have the tank to himself, which would be best for him anyhow. That would save you money rather than cost you more.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #29 
bamsuddenimpact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
Petco has a 14 day return period on fish. You could return the new one and focus on getting the other guy well and he could have the tank to himself, which would be best for him anyhow. That would save you money rather than cost you more.
Petco upped it to 30 days. I bought a betta within the last month.. and put his "life insurance policy" next to his tank until his month was up lol
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #30 
Friendlyfishies

"This is turning into a big project for me... :/"

Sorry its stressful for you...I didnt realize how money and time went into it either, it will settle down once you get the right equipment, it will cost a little now but then when you sit down and look at the tank all set up with everything in it, happy healthy fish, the cost will drop drastically and you will finally have time to enjoy them and not worry so much about them.

I kind of agree with some others, they said to return the new fish and focus on the sick fish. I only say this because I jumped into bettas with both feet too quickly and was very unprepared. I had one fish get sick, another was a rescue, another developed fin rot and one just wasnt happy in his home, it was too much money and too much time! I was treating and doing water changes daily plus work and run the farm. I was freaking out and losing ground with my sick fish. I rehomed 2 of my fish just last week and now I can focus on Moonie and Miyagi...much more relaxing! And moonie is making great headway with his fins now! It will be worth it to return the other one, but what you do is up to you :)...good luck with everything!

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 11-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, new betta owner, poppy eye, treatments