Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #21 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Well.. yeah... no ct thats for sure she looks like a vt easy he might be a hm cant tell sense the pic dosent show his tail. I would expect plenty of weak delta's. Fewer rays is dominant over many (why vt usually genetically is dominant over hm). They will probably mostly be red with maybe a blue wash and a little white. Good luck with them red is the first color to show in babies!

Edit: Culling a spawn is a personal decision dont let other people tell you what to do with your fish. If you are set up to care for babies I would go ahead and keep them.
Thanks! I think the father is beautiful so with any luck that will spread to his babies!

I am set up, and I admit I have an interest in fish breeding and dealing with bettas is helping me develop it. I don't want people in the forum to get angry with me because I crossed tail types by accident. Learning through experience, you know?
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #22 
Creat

Plenty of people cross tail types , including hm and vt, knowing full well what they are doing.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #23 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Plenty of people cross tail types , including hm and vt, knowing full well what they are doing.
I assumed as much, to be honest, but to each their own, right? I wish I could have found a HM female, but where I live I'm lucky if I can find females at all, let alone ones of decent stock. I still love my bettas though, even if they are from petstores.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #24 
GhostFeather

Don't you get half-suns or combtails by crossing CTs with Hms?
Just asking.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #25 
Creat

Good news is there are plenty of good breeders popping up in canada to get nice hm females from :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #26 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Your male seems to have a decent number of rays so he should be a HM. His rather short caudal implies that there was a long x short fin cross some where in his line. It could also result from rose-ing, but I doubt that's the cause in your case.

The female has very short fins. I doubt she is a VT. I'm leaning more towards PK. What ever she may be, you should get mostly delta tails. If she is a PK, you should get many short finned fry. Though long fins are dominant over short, nevertheless your male has rather short fins. You should get in between fins (too long to be PK but too short to be labeled long finned delta). And of course you would get some long finned deltas.

Look out for the super deltas with 4 or more rays to breed further.

Colors can range from cambodian - mostly with irids, blue-red multi, maybe some grizzle, depending on their genetic background you may also get some cherry reds with some irids.

Good luck on raising them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #27 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Your male seems to have a decent number of rays so he should be a HM. His rather short caudal implies that there was a long x short fin cross some where in his line. It could also result from rose-ing, but I doubt that's the cause in your case.

The female has very short fins. I doubt she is a VT. I'm leaning more towards PK. What ever she may be, you should get mostly delta tails. If she is a PK, you should get many short finned fry. Though long fins are dominant over short, nevertheless your male has rather short fins. You should get in between fins (too long to be PK but too short to be labeled long finned delta). And of course you would get some long finned deltas.

Look out for the super deltas with 4 or more rays to breed further.

Colors can range from cambodian - mostly with irids, blue-red multi, maybe some grizzle, depending on their genetic background you may also get some cherry reds with some irids.

Good luck on raising them.
Wow, thank you! You've been super helpful! And thanks - I'll try my best!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #28 
Myates

Creat and indjo are awesome when it comes to proper information :)

Don't let the words others use to bring you down, your babies may not have show quality fins, but they won't be "messed up" nor ugly. If you weren't breeding to show fish, then you are fine. Most people will buy your babies because they think they are cute and want them, not because their fins look a certain way. You just have to go the pet market route when selling a little more is all (talk to local pet stores, ads in newspapers/craigslist/ebay, etc) :)

Good luck! This is a great learning experience to get started on!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #29 
DoctorWhoLuver

She looks a bit like a plakat. Her find seem a bit shorter than what you would normally see on a female VT.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #30 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanacute View Post
Hang in… I compared my female vt 2 urs… ur is a ct
She is not a CT. That is spawn damage.

She could be a Delta Tail. She doesn't look like a VT female. Caudal is not rounded enough to be a VT.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote