Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #1 
lilameski

Sick betta, still!

Okay, so I have been trying to help Charlie with his fin rot, but it hasn't been going so well. I came into work yesterday, and he has been resting his head on top of his cave, or just laying on the fake plants, like he doesn't want to swim.

His top & bottom fin now looks like it's thinning or something at the ends of them.

So I took him out, and put him in his little bowl I orginally had him in. I put some aquarium salt in there, but failed to put the heater and stuff in. Today he just doesn't have his personality, and his color is starting to thin.

Should I just put him back in his 2.5 with no rocks, and the heater and filter system? Clean the fake plants and cave really well?

Please let me know what you suggest.
Thanks,
Amy
lilameski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #2 
bubbles72

have you given him anything other than salt any medicines if not i would suggest doing that..there are ones especially for fin rot
bubbles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #3 
Kim

Do you have live plants in your tank? If not, it would be much better to just treat him in there. The temp. is stable, and the water quality is undoubtedly better due to the filter and larger size. This will help reduce stress during treatment which will help him to recover faster. I would definitely recommend starting him on an antibiotic such as Maracyn TC (tetracycline). You can get this through www.drsfostersmith.com. I used this for my fish and it worked well. I have also heard that Jungle fungus Eliminator works on fin rot. I however, would not recommend using Melafix which most fish stores carry. It did not work with my fish, but it did build up in the water terribly even when you dose according to the directions. Keep the water really clean during treatment. Make sure to do a water change, and discontinue the use of salt if you treat with antibiotics. Also, sometimes discoloration remains on the edges of the fins even when the bacteria is gone, if you have stopped treatment and the discolored area does not get larger or starts to receed you have probably killed all of the bacteria. If it starts to grow again, try a second dose. Good Luck.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #4 
Flashygrrl

Look up the treatment bettababy always recommends for fin rot. I guess nothing even comes close to being as effective and safe for a betta. You'll probably have to order everything though.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote