Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Keeping otocinculus and bettas.

My friend is not taking back the two otos I was caring for him. He said he bought other fish which he liked more, so in a way they were abandoned I guess, not that I mind too much, he could have done worse and released them in rivers and such. Which wouldn't be very responsible.

So now I have the otos in a temp tank and been wondering if I could add them with one my betta's. But I fear since they are smaller, that my betta would chase them or trying to nip at them. But I heard they can be compatible unlike guppies and such.

I have a 4,5 ish gallon tank that is going through cycling and I was thinking if it were possible with the appropiate water changes and all to keep 2 otocinculus, with a betta.

I will provide them more hidey places if needed. So they can protect themselves, I have plenty of extra plants and ornaments I could use.

I am worried though, one of my bettas has proven that he likes to pick at algae wafers, cucumbers and such, which would mean I would have to feed them in a different container. Also the otos ignore blanched veggies. And it took persuading for them to eat wafers. So far they are nice and chubby, and as far as my knowledge goes a fat oto is a happy oto?

I hope people can also give me feed back on what kind of live plants should I try to get in the future when i got the money so I know how happy they can be. I've seen marimo moss balls, but I think they are fake, since they come in a plastic container with no water.

The tank:
Attached Images

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-Oto's do better in larger-more mature heavy planted tanks-kept in larger numbers since they are a social fish and really active. Its not that they will drop dead or anything like that when kept in less than ideal setups, however, in the long term-the stress can compromise the immune response and then they get sick and in turn can cause the other livestock to get sick.
Then as you already mentioned-the feeding issues that can happen in mixed species tank along with a Betta. Especially since a Betta can be such piggies when it comes to food.

Plus, IMO/E-tanks under 10gal don't provide enough space to keep more fish along with the Betta. Smaller spaces-this gives the Betta the ability to corner the other fish and either injure or kill them. In the long term it can end up badly for all species involved-due to-overstocking and poorly stocked related issues.

The more rotund/fat Oto is most likely a female-that is usually how you can tell sex difference with this species. The more rotund=female and Slimmer=male
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

IMO your tank is too small for that many fish & even if you add more plants there is not enough room for escape. If I'm not mistaken they do better in larger #'s such as 6 in a school & I usually see the minimum tank size recommended as a 20-30g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #4 
asukabetta

Yeah kinda expect such a reply. Then I'm stuck with 2 otos... they have been in a 2 gallon for almost a month and I have no idea what to do... Perhaps I should try to give them to a pet store see if they take them.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you can't get a bigger tank I would definitely rehome them, either to an LFS or another aquarist.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
If you can't get a bigger tank I would definitely rehome them, either to an LFS or another aquarist.
I can get a bigger tank, I just can't carry it XD I hardly managed carrying this tank for 2 hours going back home taking the subway, then bus, then walking lol. It's tiring lol

I don't know any others who can take the otos. Seriously my friend is so mean to dump these things on me... >_> he was supposed to take them back ages ago. I feel bad, they are so cute. But i'm not going to keep them in a place where they will not be happy.

I do not know how to care for these fish on a long term, and I'm glad I asked :) I am probably going have to leave them at the aquarium store where I usually get my betta supplies. Usually their fish are okay-- except their bettas sometimes, and neons.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

I'm going to speak from my own experience, and I'm not saying to do what I did.

I got a oto in my 5 gallon which was divided with two bettas. The takn was already cycled too. She was also in a 3 gallon with another one of my bettas before being moved into the 5 gallon.

Within the almost month I've had her, none of my fish exhibited any issues nor did the water. The ammonia level and everything else is still stable. She's been fine, and is rather chubby and happy. She somestimes swims with Squirt at night when they're both awake.

They're great fish to have, you just need to be very careful :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #8 
asukabetta

Well, invertebrates are fine in a 4,5 gallon? perhaps when I give away the otos I can get some ghost shrimp in the 4,5?

Sigh, I know, but I'm rather novice and I do not want to risk anything, :) you were lucky I might not be Q_Q