Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 
Fin Fancier

Plant tips/suggestions

My betta currently lives in a 5 gallon with some caves and a couple silk plants yet still manages to tear his fins. I'm thinking of moving him to a naturally planted tank since he's fond of laying in the broad leaves of his silk plant. I already have a light rated for growing plants, but I use gravel, would plants grow alright in it? My other question is about water changes. He gets 1 100% and 1 50% every 5 days or so since the tank isn't filtered. Would the plants be okay if I did full water changes? Thanks for any advice, I've never been known for having a green thumb so I want to do my research before I try this.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would vote yes for 100 percents and your Betta may not be nipping could the cave be hurting his fins? Ferts will help with growth Anarchis, Marimo , and Crypts are good.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would start with some beginner plants that you could float or tie on something. Anacharis and Hornwort would both be great and you can take them out when you do water changes, I do when I use my gravel vac once a week on my 5 gallon but its cycled and has a filter and I only have to do 50 percent. I have a rubberband around my Anacharis plants so I can just pull them right out together and lay them on some paper towels till I am finished and then just plop them back in and the same with my Hornwort.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Hygro is good too.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #5 
Fin Fancier

Thanks for the tips. he has 1 ceramic log and a has a faux rock cave with some silk plants attached to it, so I don't know if he's tearing his fins on them. I figure I could to the plants down to one or both items.
Hygro seems to have some broader leaves. Chocolate do your bettas ever lay in them? He really seems to like to rest in the leaves, and I'm not sure if Anacharis and Hornwort would be sturdy enough for him.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter swims more that laying down he seems to prefer his sand non of my plants are that sturdy excepts anuibus. Bettas love these http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/sh...nd-leaves.html. This will look nice with moss will make a great hiding spots for Bettas http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/13-nano-trees.