Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #1 
xobettaox

Exclamation Fish losing fins!? Help!

I noticed today that my fish has lost part of his tail fin and what's left is really stringy. What could this be and how do I treat it?
Attached Images

xobettaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What size tank & what is your water change schedule? Is the tank heated? If it happened suddenly I would lean towards damage from either a plant, decoration or filter intake if the tank is filtered. If its fin rot, clean water & time is the best medicine. If its damaged same thing clean water & time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #3 
xobettaox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
What size tank & what is your water change schedule? Is the tank heated? If it happened suddenly I would lean towards damage from either a plant, decoration or filter intake if the tank is filtered. If its fin rot, clean water & time is the best medicine. If its damaged same thing clean water & time.
It's a 5 gallon and I am doing 50% changes twice a week. It is heated and the temp fluctuates 78-80 degrees. I didn't know about the cycling process when I got him so do you think it could be from that? And since I am trying to cycle the tank, would it hurt if I did a 100% water change? I just noticed this today, so hopefully it is just from a decoration or something and not a disease or something :(
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 
LizzyP

If you're cycling never do 100% changes. It's not from the tank cycling.

It looks to me like he's biting it. Which is pretty common in long finned males. Just keep him in some clean, heated water and his tail will grow back :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #5 
Eggbert

+1 Lizzy
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #6 
xobettaox

Now there are two small holes in one of his fins, so I don't think it's a decoration or the filter. What else could this be
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 
happypappy

Just had the same thing. The tail started disintertrating and then saw blood. Treated with aq salt but after three days no improvement ---and a hole developed in the dorsal fin, started bleeding and then split. So I changed treatment to maracynII (minocycline) After three days treatment, no bleeding today. Fin color looks better. And I think the tail has stopped shredding.
And I am doing 100% water changes daily. If it continues do not hesitate to do a salt treatment first.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Is it possible that he's fin biting?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #9 
happypappy

has anyone actually seen a betta bite his own tail?? I have trouble thinking we have OCD and anxiety in betta?????
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #10 
Friendlyfishies

What kind of filter do you have? Looks like.he got some shred from the filter intake, I've.had to put porous sponge over my intake, my boy ruined his fins resting on it.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote