Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #1 
Lisa1010

My female just jumped!

My gentle, calm, beautiful female betta just jumped to get her first bite of food this morning!

It was so quick and when it happened I pulled my hand back and just looked at her before giving her more!

I know you have all said they jump, and I have seen it before but I just figured she wouldn't do it because she is always so cool and gentle about things. Just swimming about her tank waiting for the food to hit the water!

She jumped and missed the food though. I saw it start to sink when she swam for it!

I gave her another bite but she didn't jump then! She is such a silly betta!

I didn't even talk to her like I usually do to get her all excited! lol

I am still in shock I saw her jump! It is really cool to see these things for the first time, but now I have to be more careful! Good thing I never fill the tank to the top!

Anyway, just wanted to share a "first" with you!

I am replaying it over and over in my mind, she looked like a dolphin just coming out of the water! lol

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

How exciting for you I was the same way the first time I saw Perseus jump, its like seeing your child take their first steps !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #3 
Lisa1010

Perseusmom, thanks for responding! It is just like watching them take their first step! When I got her she was small, and now it is like she is all grown up!

I wish I could take a clear picture of her to show how beautiful she is instead of the blurry pictures I get of her!

She is so funny, she uses her heater like a slide on the playground. She goes to the top and then slowly slides down and does it again!

Silly girl!

Lisa
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #4 
sainthogan

Do you have a lid and all the holes covered? They can jump about 3 inches up (depending on their size) and can get through tiny spaces. Mine jumped through a 1/2 inch hole in her lid and fell about 3 feet to the floor and was out of the tank at least a half hour before I found her. She's ok, but others have not been so lucky when their fish have jumped.
It is fun to watch them jump though, as long as they are safe. I still have nightmares about her jump. I have seen her jump for the water droplets on her lid though, and knowing that she is safe, allows me to enjoy it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #5 
Lisa1010

Yep, I have a glass lid on the tank. Actually the lid came with the tank and at first I didn't put it on but I found that it helped to hold the heat in so I have been using it. I am glad it is on but it was actually off when I fed her as I have to take the lid off to feed her every time.

Good advice though!

Lisa