Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Aquarium Salt help please

I've read all different amounts of dosing for aquarium salt....I need help figuring out the right dosing, or what all you guys prefer, and how to do it....

I recently got a female CT from petsmart that has horrible stress lines. I have her in a .5 gallon QT just in case something else is wrong (because she is pretty lethargic as well) and I read at a few different sources that AQ salt helps with stress.. I would love to try IAL but I dont have the ability to order or find any right now so AQ salt in my mind is the next best thing, unless anyone else has different suggestions

anyways. I need suggestions on the amount of salt to put in this .5 gallon quarantine, how to adjust her to it, and how long to do it for.

Thanks in Advance!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

For a 1g, if I remember correctly its 1/2 a teaspoon so half of that would be a 1/4 tsp. Put some tank water in a glass add the Aq salt & make sure it's completely dissolved before adding to the tank. What I do if I use Aq salt in a 1g unfiltered tank was run my water the night before in a container, put warm water in a glass & add the salt. When I did my water change 24 hrs later I'd add my Prime water conditioner. Remove my Betta from the container, dump the old water, rinse everything in the tank, add the new water, get the heater going, then add the fish after the water warmed up a bit. Someone else may have different advice. If you've not had her but a day or two she may still be stressed from the change. I've had females show stress lines for a few days but then settle in. Is she in a heated container? That makes a difference to, the water should be 78-80F.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Ive had her for for just under a week and there's no signs of improvement...I dont have a heater in with her but the temp has been pretty stable at about 76-77. Im just worried that I'll shock her from taking her out of 100% fresh to salt water so fast
Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I've always done it that way with no problems. If you want to wean her into it, mix the 1/4 tsp in a glass until dissolved & then just add 1/2 of the water or less, then do a little more the next day. In such a small volume of water you're going to have to do daily water changes IMO.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Ok thanks. Ive been doing 50% every other day and planning on 100% on Fridays till I move her into the soon to be sorority tank...which will be whenever I see her looking better, don't want to stress her out more than she is
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

the standard dosage for Aq salt is 1-3 teaspoons per gallon.

for quarantine purposes, 1tsp/ gallon is recommended.

for illness or disease up to 3tsp/ gallon can be used.

make sure to predissolve the salt in a separate container of conditioned water.

if you are ever lookin to dose 3tsp/ gallon, start from 1tsp/ gallon and slowly up the dosage over the course of a day to 3 tsp/ gallon.

it is recommended that you wean the fish off salt treatment after 2 weeks, as salt can be damaging in the long run
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #7 
Wendyjo

Is she going into a sorority or community tank If not I'd put her in whatever tank you plan to keep her in permanently as she'd probably do better in a larger volume of water.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #8 
aemaki09

I started her on AQ salt last night, seems to have more energy tonight, but still has stress stripes...hopefully they clear up in a day or two!

I'm planning to put her in a sorority tank, and as soon as I see she looks better she will be moved permanently. I don't want to risk my other girls getting sick just in case