Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #11 
ShowMeBettas

You two are making my day. The genetics behind bettas have always fascinated me.

so in real world terms what does + and ++ mean? Is it as simple as crossing two metalics to each other? Sorry i have much more to say but i am on my phone typing currently.
Posted via Mobile Device
ShowMeBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+ and ++ are just simbols used to indicate metallic genes (+) and dragon genes (++).

For a betta to become dragon, it must have that double metallic gene. If it only has one, it will become a metallic color. I'm not sure how to write the genetic code of those partial dragons though.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #13 
ShowMeBettas

Ok, so in essence they are similar but different genes right?

so, i should cross my marble boy to my red dragon if for no other reason
just to see what i get. There are no guarantees with marbles but i may see some cool combos.

may have some dragonscales that show marblinge. The boy is also elephant ear. Im sure that wont show up in f1 but it could show up in f1 sibling cross right?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes to all.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #15 
ShowMeBettas

So cool. So fancy and marble are two differenet genes. Are there difforent types of marble genes? Seems like some marbles colors bleed together where others are more crisp, like a paint horse. Do you know if the same gene can create both? Is there any difference between the gene coming from mother father or both? Sorry to beat a dead horse but this stuff is awesome. Thanks a million for this discussion.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Not sure if there are more than one type of marble genes - never really looked into them (not a fan). Oh, just to clarify; I've never looked into fancies as well - just concluding the few times I've bred them. But I do notice that sometimes marbles work in certain ways and thus is associated with certain color pattern. My SB (3 different lines from 3 different breeders in 3 different islands) all carry marbles - the "dream" blue dragon (white body with blue fins) is also associated with marbles. So it is possible that certain patterned fancies are also associated with marble genes, though the two genes are different but they may have to work together to create certain patterns.

Perhaps someone who has worked more with fancies could shed more light on this.

It is believed that male passes more color while female passes more form. I used to believe this, but now I have doubts. Recent breeding shows that form and color can go either way, depending on who's genes are stronger (more fixed). However I could never improve form using average quality female. So, though I still go by this myth and will advise it, I don't expect too much.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #17 
Warlock

good info thank
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote