Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #11 
latriana465

It really is amazing how attached we get to our fish. I was rushing to every pet store to find something to make her better and started using Vitachem. She lived for a month after and that might have been the reason for living longer than your Vi.

I do have a new fish, his name is Delta. I am currently having a few issues with his tail being shredded from the filter. He is currently in a 1gal until Saturday when I put him in my late Fishy's 5gal tank. I have a pictures in my album if you want to see him. So far he has no filter so I do 50% water changes every other day and I just turned his filter back on with some hosiery covering the intake valve. When I move him in his new tank I already have a heater ready for him and I will cover that filter too to make sure his tail doesn't shred anymore.

I wasn't planning on getting another betta so soon but I saw him in a dirty cup at Petco and I couldn't help but take him home.
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #12 
Violeta

Congrats on your new fish. That is great you rescued him from Petco! The day before Vi passed, I was recommended to try Marcal on him so that is what I gave him but he was gone the next day.

Hmm.. In a 2.5 gallon tank, do you think I should get a heater/filter?

Do you keep a thermometer in yours for your fish? Also, you do use stress coat often?
Violeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #13 
latriana465

Thanks! Marcal? Hmmm I've never heard of that before, I might have to go look that up.

Honestly, I guess putting a heater and a filter is up to you. I have a filter in my 1gal and no heater. When Fishy was still alive, I noticed she was sluggish in the winter time so I moved her up to a 5gal with a heater and she was so happy. I don't even know if they sell heaters for small tanks but then again my Petsmart and Petco around here is limited. I have seen where people say to get live plants because that helps as a filter and someone posted on my board a little while ago about using an airstone to help out too.

I do have a thermometer in the 5gal tank just to make sure the heater is working. I have been using stress coat with my new betta when I do all these extra water changes because I noticed it stresses him out a lot. I really need to get one of those kits to test the water and stuff to make sure it is safe for him. I did buy all new gravel for the 5gal just in case it was contaminated.

It sounds like you may be thinking about getting a new betta? I was sad when Fishy died but my Delta makes me so happy too =)
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #14 
DiiQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violeta View Post
Congrats on your new fish. That is great you rescued him from Petco! The day before Vi passed, I was recommended to try Marcal on him so that is what I gave him but he was gone the next day.

Hmm.. In a 2.5 gallon tank, do you think I should get a heater/filter?

Do you keep a thermometer in yours for your fish? Also, you do use stress coat often?
Definitely get a thermometer. Depending on your location and how cold it gets there, you may need to get a heater... the concensus is that the water temperature should be 78-82 degrees. Also remember that the water temperature is always a few degrees (1 or 2) cooler than the surrounding air temperature. As to the filter question, it's up to you and how you eventually will want to redo the tank. If you decide to go with live plants, having a filter helps, but if you don't, just as long as you keep up with the required water changes, then you'll be fine.

Also, always use a dechlorinator like stress coat for any water changes.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your little bud... hope you find another little buddy to fill the void.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #15 
Violeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by latriana465 View Post
I have seen where people say to get live plants because that helps as a filter
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Definitely get a thermometer. Depending on your location and how cold it gets there, you may need to get a heater... the concensus is that the water temperature should be 78-82 degrees. Also remember that the water temperature is always a few degrees (1 or 2) cooler than the surrounding air temperature. As to the filter question, it's up to you and how you eventually will want to redo the tank. If you decide to go with live plants, having a filter helps, but if you don't, just as long as you keep up with the required water changes, then you'll be fine.

Also, always use a dechlorinator like stress coat for any water changes.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your little bud... hope you find another little buddy to fill the void.
Hi Diique. I do have a thermometer & always added stress coat when I did a water change. I will be mindful o the 78-82 degrees with my next betta.

How often should I do a water change without a filter? How often with a filter?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #16 
DiiQue

This thread from OFL will give you a better idea of the water changes... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

She's a veteran with many years of experience and whose advice is highly regarded here.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #17 
Violeta

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.